Bumpy lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dkraft, Feb 13, 2006.

1. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

Hi, I have a two year old 1 acre lawn. About 1/3 of the lawn is bumpy and I have some tire indentations from when I had some post holes for my deck dug. I had originally planned on rolling the lawn this spring but having read some previous threads I understand that it may not be a good idea. What other ways can I smooth out the lawn? The grass has come in very thick and healthy. The bumps are not moles or rocks just settling.

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Tire tracks? You probably have some ruts that rolling won't smooth out. Find out where you can buy bulk topsoil (not the bagged stuff) and fill the deepest places. Reseed, but probably will need to reseed again late summer/early fall. I don't really know what grasses you have in your climate, or best time to reseed there. But normally seed that germinates in the spring will not get roots down deep enough to survive the hottest weather.

Here in my area we have more Bermuda than anything, and it spreads by rhizomes, so you throw the dirt in the hole and the Bermuda just comes up thru it and covers the patch. Doubt that you have Bermuda there.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you do decide to fill the low areas and then regrade (rake, blade, etc.) I'd suggest that you scalp the grass in the low areas so the new soil makes better contact. This will eliminate settling in those areas and a "spongy" feeling under foot. You might also want to aerate the low tire tracked areas due to compaction before adding soil.