1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bumpy Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by corporall, Aug 4, 2004.

1. corporall

corporall LawnSite Member

I have a quick question.

My lawn is bumpy all over. My guess is that it was just not done properly in the beginning.

In the spring when the ground is still wet from the now melting, is it possilble I can simply just rent a heavy duty roller and go over the lawn.

That should do the trick right?
  2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

its natural for a lawn to 'move' due to freezing/thaw action and cause those bumps.

rolling any lawn, in my opinion should be outlawed. The roller will only compact the soil and create other issues with the overall health/vigor of your lawn.

If these bumps are really driving you nuts, then I would recommend that you raise the lower (valleys)....rather than try to lower the higher (peaks) by rolling.

Top dressing (bring in top soil) so that the 'valleys' are brought up to the hieght of the peaks.

Your lawn will thank you...you will have a more even surface to mow...kids and or elderly will enjoy walking/running across the more even surface.

Keep in mind....the bumps may return with the winter freeze/thaw

good luck
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Along with the above suggestion, I would also rent an aerator and aerate the heck out of it first, in a couple different directions. Then topdress with top soil.

And if you're lawn is thin at all, this would be a good time to go ahead and overseed too.
  4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

gogetter, thank you for adding that, excellent advise
  5. Tubular10

Tubular10 LawnSite Member

I am going to be following the suggestions of gogetter and TSM to even out my bumpy lawn and overseed some bare areas. Here is the protocol:

1. Core aerate
    2. Topdress
    3. Overseed

I have the aeration and overseeding down, but how can I successfully topdress my yard? I have tried this a few months ago with 1/2 sand, 1/2 topsoil and it was extremely difficult to spread the material evenly throughout the yard. It took a loooong time. I tried several types of rakes, shovels, and flat wood 2X6's. It even left my yard bumpier in some spots.

Is there a special device you guys use to more quickly and evenly spread topdressing and even out a bumpy lawn?