1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bungy cords/safety tip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 11, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well u guys(and chics) are boring me to death, nothing interesting to read lately, so i thought id tell u about my groin area. bought some really cheap bungy cords a few years back. while i was trying to bungy something on the trailer, the cord was too short, so, i pulled, and stretched, and pulled harder trying to make it reach. do u know what happened? the metal hook part of the cord straightened out, and ...yup, wack! it came flying towards me real hard and hit me in the jewels! i dropped like a ton of bricks, i layed there for about 25 min, i couldnt move. u know that they say when u get hit there, u talk funny? thats a lie, the truth is, I COULD EVEN SPEAK, AT ALL!. all i could do is lay there, gasping for air. well, i made it to my feet, went in, and got to the doctor. i dont like anyone with hair on thier hands touching me there, but, after a thorough exam and a urine test, all was well. those bungy cords can cause serious damage, u could lose an eye, a few teeth, or, like i almost did, your most prized possesions. BE VERY CAREFUL
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

All I can say is ouch, man. I can't imagine how bad that hurt.:(
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

All I can say is I am glad it was you and not me Bobby.:eek:

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I love your posts. Thanks for the laugh. Does sound like it would hurt. Glad everything was O.K. with the jewels.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, You really do keep us all in suspense when reading one of your posts. Glad to hear that everything turned out ok.

6. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Haha if i saw that happen i would die of laughter. But i do feel your pain. I as a wrestler get hit there every now and then.
  7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have about 20 bungy cords holding things onto my trailer. It always crosses my mind as to what could happen. Never thought about the ''jewels'', but I tend to turn my head a lot when I have to tug real hard on one.
  8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You may not 'feel' like it, but you were very lucky.
    I personally know someone that did lose an eye from a bungy cord. Not very pretty at all. They are a tool, don't 'stretch' them beyond their limits.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

ROTFLMAO...I thought I heard someone screamin' at the top of their lungs south of me the other day!!!
  10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmmmm, ouch! Hate that sick feeling.

I used to get cords that had plastic tubing around the elastic cord. That way, if the cord snaps or the hook straightens, the tube is there to stop the recoil.

Like if you thread the elastic cord through a piece of garden hose. Make sence? I dont know.....Think about it!:dizzy: