bunton 36'' walk behind HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 257corey257, Nov 8, 2013.

1. 257corey257

257corey257 LawnSite Member

I recently picked up a bunton 36 inch cut belt drive mower with a 14 hp engine. I gave 360 bucks for it and it runs and mows. the drive belts are slipping and it came with 5/8 x 47 inch belt and I put a 5/8 x 46 belt and done the same thing. I switched to a 1/2x 47, 46, 45, and a 44 and the 1/2 x 44 inch belt was the only one that worked on but it was really two tight. Is it possible the main pully's are just wore out and need replaced. or does anyone know the correct size of the belt that should be used. the model number is bg36-14koh and serial is ybg3612105 I cant seem to find nothing. its a great mower and really want to get it going. its a single belt not a double belt like the bigger cut buntons are. please help

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

How are the springs? Try using tighter springs.

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking the problem is underneath your mower, in the back under the transmission lies the engine-to-transmission belt, I'd bet a $5 that thing is loose, you tighten up that belt (it might need replacing) and so long the outer belts aren't completely worn your problem is likely fixed.

Beyond that, yeah those stupid tension springs.
    But I'd check the transmission belt first.

4. 257corey257

The springs seem to be in good shape. They are puttin down good pressure but I may put a bigger spring on it. I was told that a 5/8 x 44-1/2 cog belt was the correct size but idk for sure. I wanna make sure before I spend 50 bucks for belts and that not be the correct size. What's weird is I can't find nothing with that model # on the Internet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 257corey257

Yes I checked that belt and tightend it up a bit but it didn't solve my problem. The main pulleys comeing off the transmission where the drive belts connect, they pull like a tank I've tryed to hold it back and can't.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

If the machine is real old, the wheel rims where the belts sit in get worn too, causing slippage. Good old buntons. I used to have one many moons ago. Good luck.. have you tried mowpart.com?

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

If you GOOGLE the model number ya come up with a bunch of sites.
    Like fer instance : http://mowerpartsweb.com/drillmanuals3.asp?manu=BUNTON&typ=WALK+BEHIND+MOWER&offset=98
    Then ya gotta cross the part numbers.
    As was mentioned, the pulleys are prolly just plumb worn out.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Is this of any help to you ?

Attached Files:

ericg likes this.