Bunton 52" WB ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green_with_envy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

I have a chance to buy one for $900. It has a 13 hp Honda engine and is approx. 10 years ol. Not sure on the hours as I haven't see it yet. Guy says it is in great shape and cuts awesome. Whats you guys opinions? Good mower..price? Thanks!
  2. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

13 HP......I think it's under powered
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,...13hp IS underpowered for a 52" deck.
  4. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

When I was looking at bunton's last year, they all had small engines.
    And I missed out on a nice one thinking the engine was small, but I later found out it had the optional engine which was a 13 hp.
    I wish I would have bought it.
    If its nice buy it, but remeber it's used and may cost you as much to fix it as you may spend on a new one.
  5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

13 hp is not under powered. Everyone is so used to all these insanely high hp numbers now.

My caution to you will be that on a unit 10 years old, you will experience parts issues. I am ......or......I should say, am kind of still a Bunton dealer. Parts for the older units are scarce and $$$$.

Belts, pulleys and such shouldn't be a problem. Many of them are available aftermarket worst case. But it's the oem specific parts that can be an issue, like drive control rods.
  6. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I have had that issue with drive control rods on my Bob-Cat.
    My fix was, I bought drill rod from my local hardware store and threaded the ends with dies. they work great and were very cheap, except the hour I put in to making them.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

13 hp on a 52" deck? You'll be using that in Granny gear all day IMO. :laugh:
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a 52" Goodall (same thing as bunton) with a 15hp kohler. I wouldnt want anything less than 15hp to be honest. 15 seemed like the perfect engine choice for that mower. It cut good and wasnt a bad mower but I wouldnt buy another one.