Bunton Belt Drive Transmission - Problems?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

We've run Buntons for the last five or so years - and have definitely got our money's worth from the machines. But, this year we experienced horrible transmission problems (Spicer trans). Seems the bearings on the input shaft would wear and allow the pinion gear to wobble too much. Result: the bearings, pinion and drive gears all needed to be replaced. The first one was under warranty. However, after one went, it was only a matter of time with the rest of the fleet. The local dealer refused to rebuild - saying the they where usually more trouble than it was worth. Stuck between a rock.... we bought one. At $750 a pop replacing them was almost like replacing a truck tranny! We did eventually find a supplier that had 'em for $450 - but they were back ordered. I eventually learned (out of necessity!) how to rebuild the damm things and have come to know them inside and out. John Deere sells a rebuild kit - but those bearings seem to fail just as quick. We had some transmissions that didn't even make it a month! We also returned brand new trannies 5 times (all within a month or two!). The dealer said Bunton must have been aware of some problems because the had stopped shipping them for a time. I finally found a bearing supplier (being in the heart of the Motor City does sometimes have its perks when it comes to locating such suppliers) - hopefully these heavier duty bearings hold up better.
    We're not exceptionally hard on the equipment. They do work hard but they are well maintained and we do have some machines that are going on 4-5 years with the original tranny. All machines have Velkies. Anybody have any similar experiences?

Also if anyone has any blown Spicer trannies that you'd like to get rid of, contact me. I could use some spare parts. Similarly, if you've got one of these trannies that is need of rebuilding, contact me, I'd be happy to advise you or if your local dealer won't rebuild it, I'll see what I can do (certainly better than having to shell out $450-750 for a new one!). Sorry that post is so long.
  2. CH Landscaping

CH Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a Bunton 36inch belt driven mower (model 630022). My trans went and I torn it apart to find the gear on the input shaft shot and the gear that it links to. I know that this is an older post but if you can point me in the right direction to get the parts for the trans that I need that would greatly appreciated.