Bunton/Bobcat v. Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking at a Bunton BZT1250 as a bagging z turn mower. How do these compare in cutting quality to a Walker with similar set up? The Bunton is less costly but I' wondering if the potential up front savings is worth it.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

There is a reason that Bunton/bobcat only sells about a handful of those machines each year, compared to Walker, who sells thousands. Think about that.
    I have never seen one of the Bobcats in use. However, just about every Bobcat dealer I have visited across the USA, has one of those Bobcats, covered in dust, sitting in their showroom. Usually, a check of the serial number on the mower will show them to be at least 2 or 3 years old. Think about that.
    As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I looked at the other bagging mowers, but always ended up with a Walker.
  3. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There are a few of these machines being used here. The cut is about the same between the two companies.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe in your area. IMO bobcat is one of the best cutting best built machines on the market and there are a ton of them in use around this area. Walkers on the other hand are very rare in this area. Around here you see mostly Exmark, Bobcat, scag and some gravelys mixed in. The others are pretty much unheard of.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a Bobcat, 60" ZTR for many years. Loved that machine. Still would not bite on one of their "Walker look-a-like" machines.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, I think you need to demo both and draw your own conclusion.

I see a couple of them in use around here and they have been in the field a while. They appear to do a good carpet-cut on the grass and don't seem to mark the lawns like the Walkers. But at the same time, neither of these owners are previous Walker owners and I have not asked them about the machines.

In addition, Walker has not been local to us. So they had the choice of the Bob-Cat 125 close by, the Toro Z350 a bit farther away and a long ways away for the Walker. But we have since gotten a Walker dealer who is much closer. So I now see a couple again. The previous Walker owners dumped them for the Toro Z350's. I have talked to them and they like the Toro's much better. But they never used the Walkers for their attachments and such either, so.....

So that's just some info you can think about as you consider the two. I don't know how they compare. But I do know you can do a lot more stuff with the Walkers because of the attachments.

But in the end it is going to depend on YOU. How do YOU feel they compare? Where will YOU use it. Will YOU bag 100% of the time? Will YOU ever want to switch to mulching without switching decks? Will YOU ever want to switch to a side discharge deck? Will YOU want the option of paying for and switching decks? Do YOU have a need for the attachments? Do YOU see the justification for the extra money?

All of the Walker owners here are probably going to suggest the Walker.
    But this is not about them, it's about YOU.