bunton mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogger, May 1, 2002.

1. dogger

dogger LawnSite Member

i am having a problem with a 52" belt driven Bunton w/b and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion before i take it to the shop. Here's the deal: The mower runs wells at idle. However, when the blades are engaged there is a substantial loss in power. If the mower even touches light grass it boggs down almost to to the point of stalling. When this occurs there is also a strong odor of gas. I'm no mechanic but i have taken most of the mower apart and am stumped so far. We have other mowers, but this an essential spare for my other crew. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated cause i'm trying to save a buck by fixing it myself.

2. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

you reall did not give much info,what engine does this mower have,if its a 2cylinder sounds like you lost one,that is why you smell unburned gas,

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that it is probably only running on one cylinder. This has happened on my 17 hp Kawasaki. It ended up being a bad coil. You can check by removing a spark plug wire while its running and if it stalls, the other coil is bad. A mechanic helped me get it back going by taking the coil off and sanding (220 grit) the magnets on the coil and flywheel and reinstalling. (not sure what to call them on the coil)

4. dogger

dogger LawnSite Member

It is a 17 HP kawasaki. sorry about that.

5. Dave

from RI

twin 17 or single

6. dogger

dogger LawnSite Member

twin.

7. Dave

from RI

while its running when its hot .pull one of the plug wires off to see if you get a decrease in speed ,i bet its one of the coils braking down under a load