Bunton mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Apr 29, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering what you guys thought or heard about Bunton mowers. I have a 36" walk behind and a 52" rider and I am happy with it . ( i guess that is all that counts) . I was just wondering because I never hear anyone talk about them or even own any Bunton equipment. So I was just wondering if it was known for problems or maybe there are no Bunton dealers around you guys. Oh well.

Lasher66

2. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

I've had a Bunton 36" for over ten years, still runs and cuts like the day I bought it. Just recently bought a new Bunton 48" hydro, runs great, cuts great. I think Bunton makes one fine machine. When I bought the new mower I looked at Dane and Xmark didn't think they were built as well as the Bunton.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I dont understand what happened with the name. They used to be everywhere around here and now i hardly ever see one. I used to work for a guy who had two of them and they were 13 years old and still running strong. The old ones were well built. The new ones have a new decal and seem a lot different. not sure what happened to them though.

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Textron owns bunton and bobcat....they are pushing there line of bobcat more than bunton they switched some dealers around and got rid of some bunton dealers...some dealers didnt like the way that there bunton suppliers was treating them. Basically same machine...I have owned belt & hydro models of both and liked them both the same great machines. Just as tough as the best out there. IMO it is one of the best out there. Good price great quality. Make sure your dealer gives good support.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A few years ago over 1/2 the trailers around here had bunton's on them. Everyone switched to Toro and now eXmark. Bunton's were cheap to buy but were quality machines. As people started trying Toro's and eXmarks they found the cut to be much better. Higher blade speed for 1. Now, you rarely see them anymore. They were a great startup mower until a few years ago.

6. bkd

bkd LawnSite Member

I have had a Bunton 48" hydro walkbehind for 3 years now with no problems. It is a tough machine. I bought it used, but they had just put a 20 hp vanguard twin on it. I hope it continues to give me good service.

7. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We use a Bunton 61" rider and we love it. The blade speed cuts the St. Augustine grass here in Florida so beautifully! We like the ground speed of the machine when we mow our large 3 acre Mow and Go lawns and it has manueverability in small mobile home lots. We also just got the little 34" Encore after hearing some good reviews about it from other sources. We like so far. It jerks us around more than the Bunton, but it is much smaller and we're still getting used to it. We had a small Snapper before and it was a monster as far as maintenance. We spent too much money on maintaining it. We cleaned it up and gave it to our son in law for his homeowner lot.

We've had the Bunton for 3 years and it is still running great (knock on wood). We had some electrical replacements because of getting caught in many of Florida's bad afternoon downpours. We just got an enclosed trailer this year that will save us $$$ on repairs by protecting our equipment from theft and weather.

It is funny 'cause I'm the "girl" part of the team and I drive the big 61" Bunton. My husband drives the little 34" Encore. You should see the looks I get from people!!! We use a Weedeater regular lawn tractor for deep ditch lines and on steep canal banks. We use Echo Weedeaters & Edgers and Husqavarna Back Packs. The Bunton is my baby!!!

Oh yes, and the hydro blade lift is second to none!!! Many of our customers have different types of grass in their yard and I can raise and lower the deck to accomodate SO EASILY. The yards look spiffy when we're done.