1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bunton Parts Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kent Berry, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Kent Berry

Kent Berry LawnSite Member

Hello Folks,

I have a Bunton BZT 1250 front deck mower with two bent spindles and I need some parts. I won't bore you with the details about how many phone calls I've made or how long I've been on hold with the phone stuck to my ear, but needless to say the Textron dealer support in my area (central Florida) is worse than pathetic. The nearest "dealer" doesn't so much as stock the correct blades, and even had to order an oil filter for the Kohler engine!

I have the cutterdeck manual and have the parts numbers, but I haven't even been able to find an internet outfit which stocks the stuff I need.

Can anyone provide me with the contact info for a brick and mortar dealer or internet vendor who can help me?

Thanks a lot.

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

3. tyuslawncare

tyuslawncare LawnSite Member

We live in northwest Florida and the closest dealer we can get parts from is in Cordele,GA. Contact Mike at Action Equipment and he can ship your parts to you.You can reach them at 1-229-273-7369. Hope this helps.
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

J Thomas has them.

*NOTE* the deck pully is not the same. If you get parts, check them right away.

If you prefer local stores, try Prefered Auto. They carry Prime Line equipment parts. That's where I found the pully to match for a Bunton. I'm looking at the book right now. Page 393 has two listed. A 5 1/4" shaft, or a 6 1/2" shaft.
  5. Kent Berry

I called Mike at Action Equipment today and he was able to help me. Besides ordering the stuff I needed, I must have talked to him for a half an hour about mowers. He's a really nice guy.

Thanks for the heads up.

6. tyuslawncare

tyuslawncare LawnSite Member

Great! Glad it helped.
  7. tw970

tw970 LawnSite Member
    from nc

if you have not found your parts yet let me no I am a bob-cat/bunton dealer and plenty of those shafts and blades instock
    all i need to now is what deck sice you have. we have shipping
  8. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering buying a Bunton BZT1250. Does it clogg much with the catching deck? Is it reliable? What else can you tell me about the unit?

Thanks for you reply.
  9. Kent Berry

I'm not a pro like most of you guys, just a property owner who needed a lot more mower than a Murray from Wal-Mart. The Bunton is the only commercial" mower which I've owned but here's my take on it:

It's well built and pretty bulletproof. Has a 20hp Kohler Commander with plenty of power. Cuts great. I've never had a problem with it clogging, but then I don't bag. I just have a regular side discharge deck.

Here's what I don't like about it: I go through blades like crap through a goose. It has a 48" deck and only 2 blades, so the blades overlap and must be kept timed so they don't hit each other. The left blade is driven by the engine and the right blade is driven off the left blade by a toothed timing belt. If you hit something like an ant mound (we have some wicked ones in central FL) hard enough that one of the blades slips, the blades will hit and ruin each other before you can even twitch a muscle. More often than not, you'll also bend the spindles and I've gotten to be an expert at changing them out.

I was at the local Walker dealer a few weeks ago and I glanced at one of the Walker front deck mowers. It appeared that both both blades on the Walker were shaft driven, which would undoubtedly be a more robust setup.

As I mentioned earlier, there is no dealer support for the brand in my area now. The fly-by-night place where I bought the mower as a demo model closed up shop long ago. So I'm on my own as far as maintaining and repairing the mower. J Thomas can get any part for it and I order my various and sundry replacement spindles and pulleys from them but I would recommend only buying it (or any mower) if you have good dealer support in your area.

I would only use the BZT 1250 for true "lawn" mowing. I bought an "L" series Kubota with a 72" PTO-driven finish cut mower which does a nice job mowing and would cut through an anvil. Its the rig I really needed, albeit at several times the price of the Bunton. The Bunton is a low hours machine and I hardly even use it now that I bought the tractor.

Hope this helps a little.