Bunton/Spicer transmission question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mbullism, Aug 23, 2005.

1. mbullism

mbullism LawnSite Member
    from MA

I recently picked up a W/B 48" Bunton with a spicer PL4890 transmission... while it works fine, the shafts look dry as they exit the case. I'd like to change the fluid (grease?) but can find no plugs to drain or fill. the case appears to be split, top and bottom. Do I need to remove the upper half of the case and fill the lower half? I'm worried I'll pull the top half off and loose a million bearings/clips/etc. into the bottom half.

Any input would be appreciated-

Mike

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

These transmissions are grease filled and you should not take them apart unless someting is wrong. It is a real mess to deal with. I will see if I can find you an IPL just to show you what is in side.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

From what I can find it looks like Spicer is out of Business or was bought out by Dana. Every search I do for Spicer goes back to Dana at www.dana.com

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I done a search on this trans. model also and didn't find this model number either.

5. mbullism

mbullism LawnSite Member
    from MA

thanks fixer67... I'm smart enough to know i don't know, lol, and when to ask a question-

The number is not in the casting, it is on a heavy duty sticker attached to the casting that has "09-25-95" (date of manufacture?), "SPICER", "PL4890" and a bar code (which I assume was for parts inventory somewhere, to my knowledge it has never been replaced)

the tranny works fine, but does have a slight gear noise to it... not sure if it's normal, but that brought my attention to the fact that the output shafts have no visible signs of lubrication on them, grease or otherwise. just being cautious I guess, I'll check out the dana site... thanks!

MB