Bunton Transmission Leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by garyt, Mar 25, 2007.

1. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

I have a an older model Bunton walk behind that has a transmission leak out the right side. I'm attaching a pic to help show what I have. I'm hoping you guys can help me with the following:

1. What type of oil to fill with?
    2. How much do I put in it?
    3. Is the small top screw the fill plug?
    4. How difficult would it be to fix the leak?

Thanks in advance.

DSC00776.JPG

DSC00776.JPG

2. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

have had a few buntons over the years, the small top screw is the vent, probably pluged cauz its leaking out the side....i still use a 48 bunton walkbehind with a 2 wheel velke..5 years ago i replaced the old gear oil with mobil shc 634 synthetic gear oil, it has never overheated, smoked or leaked.all my other buntons did before i got rid of them or they died...one time i put the mobil in an oveheated 36" gear box that striped most of the brass and it went another year before its engine blew after 15 years....u do have a small leak out the side, and u can reseal it but u will have to tear the box apart to do it....since learning about the mobil shc 634 thats all i use in a gear box, I wouldn't fix that leak, its small and will probably stop if u put the mobil in it...ive allways pulled the 4 top screwss to fill. the side plug is for draining and when u refill the box fill it to the top of the drain plug only, gear oil expands big time. u can get the mobil here http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611715718 its a little pricey, but u wont have to change it for at least 10 years.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, make sure it is not getting overfilled, first of all. It has to be filled by the side plug - not the top (just in case it was). There are seal kits for these, and they really aren't that difficult to do. I had a couple of these mowers (JD). The idea of the synthetic is good, too.

4. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

5. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

6. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

just order it from grainger, call them up : Synthetic Gear Oil, SAE Grade 140, ISO Viscosity Grade 460, Viscosity Index 159, Viscosity SUS @ 100 Degrees Fahrenheit 2236, Flash Point 460 Degrees Fahrenheit, Pour Point -20 Degrees Fahrenheit, Container Size 1 Quarts, 634 Formula Grainger Item # 4ZF30

If u google it u might find it easier....this is single weight oil and it works...was told to use it years ago from mower mechanic,do yerself a favor and fill it from the top cauz filling it from the side plug will take u forever..just dont fill it past the bottom of the side plug