Bunton walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gil692, Jun 26, 2000.

1. gil692

gil692 Guest

I stopped at a local bunton dealer 2 miles from house. He has a 48&quot; belt drive with less than 50 hours that he took back for trade on another mower. he wants 2000 out the door serviced and tested. He says it lists for 3500. Anybody used bunton WB's or any Bunton stuff? Is this a good deal or what, again I ask for your help. I posted earlier with mower overload and you guys told me that a walk behind maybe the ticket.<br>You all have been at this longer than me so I am open to advice.<p>----------<br>gil692<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: gil692

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I've never run a bunton mower so I can't offer advice on the quality/longevity of the machine.<p>I have heard, however, that they are a rugged machine.<p>my comment is that the list price of the new bunton is not a good comparison by which to price a used machine. $3500 depreciating to $2000 in 50 hours. ask the dealer what the machine will retail for in another 50 hours if you buy it.<p>I'm pretty sure that the bunton is no more rugged than the 48 lesco belt and they sell that machine, on promotion for $2200 with a two year commercial use warranty.<p>you're headed in the right direction choosing a walk behind but the numbers dont sound right on this one.

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned Buntons 15 years ago.<p>Buntons were the original walk-behind with independent wheel drive as we know them. First came out in the mid-50's, they were always the &quot;Cadillac&quot; of the walk-behind's with very rugged constuction. They always had the most engine and deck options.<p>They lost favor with commercial cutters in the early and mid-80's when other mowers offered lower prices and/or more features.<p>Todays Bunton isn't much different than other entry-level walk-behinds and you probably can't go wrong for $2000.<p>Does it have an hour meter on it? Most 48&quot; belt-drives don't. What engine? And why did the guy trade in a mower at 50 hours?<p>

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

are bunton belt drives really 3500 for a 48incher? No wander i dont see any news ones being used.... wheneveri see buntons being used there about 10-15 yrs old!

5. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

Here is a add for what may be the lowest price 48 in belt drive. At least it gives you something to compare to.<p>48 in 7 guage deck. Kawasaki. Price: $2,199.99 Is it any good? I don't know.<p>http://www.mowersdirect.com/Gear_Drive_Walkbehind_Mowers143.html<br>

6. TheLawnRanger

TheLawnRanger LawnSite Member

wb vrs. 21&quot; pusher<p>PUSHER wins!!!<p>there easyer on the wallet! 30 too 1 LOL.<br>there easyer to operate.<br>they dont scalp!<br>there easer to load and unload<br>they dont use that much gas<br>easy to work on<br>easy to change blades!height!<br>change from bagger to side shoot in 2 seconds<br>try that with a wb LOL.<br>they CUT BETTER!!!!!<br>there better period! so i woulnt buy one!<br>when i could buy 30-40 lawnboys to one wb!<br>

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Big Wheel vs. Crown Vic<p>Big Wheel wins!<br>Easier on the wallet 100 to 1 LOL<br>Easier to operate<br>They dont crash<br>Easier to park<br>Easier on gas<br>No maintenance<br>Easier to change seat position<br>Do a 360 in 3 feet of driveway<br>No license reg or ins necessary<br>Why buy a Crown Vic when you can buy 100 big wheels for the neighborhood instead?

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

And you can make a whopping 1/3 as much as a Commercial Walk-Behind.<p>I think the reason some are in this business is to make money; obviously you have other reasons

9. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO, Thanks Lawnguy

10. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

so lets say it takes to lawn boys to be as productive as one walkbehind (probley more like three but will say 2) so the second mower dosent just run itself, min wage labor with taxes would be atleast $10 an hour. so if you mow 6 hours per day, 5 days per week, 30 weeks per season, the damn lawn boy cost you $9,000.00 per year!!!! now try this with a ZRT. one 52&quot; zrt = about atleast 6 lawn boys. At same amount of mowing time the lawnboys then cost you $64,000 dollars.<p>Just my thoughts :)<br>John W Bell