Bunton Walkbehind-->How do I put it in neutral?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by proenterprises, Dec 16, 2005.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Follow up-Went back today, and was ready to load it up. BUT, I cant figure out how to get the damn transmission in neutral. There is no reverse that I can see, but I can figure out how to get the wheels free so I can unload it.

Heres some specs.
    Bunton Walkbehind.
    Model: b52l10tci
    Serial #: jjb52l2051

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

bump...anyone, really need help!

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Guy, I'm not up on Buntons. I did try to look that model # up on a couple Bunton sites and it would'nt come up. I'm not any help if I can't see one.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If a belt(s) are in bad shape and has to be replaced anyway, you might consider cutting a belt(s) off to roll it down the ramp and regroup from there. The older Buntons did not have a reverse and used a variable speed pulley to control forward motion. I bid on one once but didn't win it. The J. Thomas catalog has a couple of pretty good parts diagrams that might be of some help.

I would guess the mower is put in neutral by making the v-groove in the variable speed pulley wide enough that the belt slips in the groove. I have no idea how the speed control does this. Bet you have it figured out now anyway Pro.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Diagram shows an idler pulley between the vari-speed pulley and the gearbox pulley, but does not show the mechanism that carries the idler. That may be the disengage.

6. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Neutral on my old Bunton was squeezing the pistol grips and locking the levers, like setting brakes on gear drive. There is no reverse or neutral on shifter.You have to do that to start it or it will take off on you , no safety switches.

7. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

yes if it is an old variable speed there is no reverse or neutural. like already said squeeze the pistol grip's and lock and roll away.

8. maccdad

maccdad LawnSite Member

wallzwallz is right, i have a 1980 48 inch wb, bunton,there is no nuetral or reverse, you squeeze the levers and lock them into place.

9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Maccdad, welcome to Lawnsite :) just as a future reference you may want to look at the post date as you answered a post from 12-16-2005 :laugh:

Don't worry your not the first or the last, enjoy the site lots of good info and hard working people on here.

10. bojodunk

bojodunk LawnSite Member

Your Belt Drive Bunton Mower
    There Are Belt Guides For Each
    Wheel So When You Pull The Handles
    The Belts Hit Hit The Guides And Go Slack
    On The Drive Pullys Allowing The Unit To Roll