1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bunton Z-Control WB Rules!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jun 8, 2006.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought one of these last year, at first with the fixed deck which I decidedly did not like at all. After emailing Bunton, they allowed me to trade the deck for the floating deck at a minimal loss.

Wow, what a great mower this is! You lco's here ought to take a look at them, I never see any around. IF you don't mind spending some cash, they're not cheap. With the z controls, stress on the hands is eliminated. The mower stripes great and discharges great. It just takes a little getting used to the controls, when one is used to pistol grips or ECS. Bunton adverstises this mower as "smooth operation from start to finish" and I'd say that describes the mower perfectly. This is the SMOOTHEST mower I've ever run. Everything from the operation of the z controls to the ride over even bumpy turf to the ability to make a flawless, no-divot turn is SMOOTH.

I'm comparing this to the mowers I've used or demoed -- ExMark, Scag, Snapper, Lesco, Hustler. So many mowers I didn't even want to demo, the handgrips are so poorly designed or require so much effort just from squeezing them on the showroom floor.

The Z control Bunton is similar to the Lesco hydro WB, but feels so much smoother and better built than the Lesco.

Mulch kit is on order which I'll hopefully be using in Fall.

Has anyone else used or purchased one of these mowers (the Jacobsens are the same)? I'm wondering what you think.
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Did you spend like 6k to buy this Z control Bunton?
    If so, I am sure it is great but for that price, people will opt for a Z no matter what. Look at Hustler superwalk demise.
  3. naturescape

$6500 - $7000. But worth it, you get what you pay for as a rule.

There is no place for a rider on most of my lawns, many are 2000 sq ft or so. (That's front AND back LOL)
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think all of what you said is the reason I always bought and used Toros. I do think the Z-bar and now there is a brand with the H-bar is probably a good invention but then Toro has always had the patented T-bar. However, I am glad to see that finally some folks are beginning to see what I mean when I say ALL pistol-grip / ECS machines blow!
    As for the cost, my Toro 48's run $3,000 and the T-bar is standard.

As for the fixed deck, I didn't get into that until I had close to a thousand yards cut with a float, never said it was an easy machine and now I guess it's not for everybody... But those of us who live by the fixed deck, we live breathe and eat fixed.
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I still like the hustler h-bar better. I loked at the bunton before I bought the hustler. But the h-bar has no springs to push or hold against when going straight.
    But with hustler quiting on the super WB Bunton is in the running If they put enough HP on it and a bit bigger tires and afew other features that the HUstler has.
  6. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have any pics of the new buntons. ive got a older one and if you can that would be great.
  7. naturescape

I think having a floating deck is more important with the Bunton w/ z controls. The fixed deck would pop up too easily (even with 50 lbs added to the front), causing me to lose control with it. The floater FLOATS (DUH) over any raised areas without popping up the whole machine.
  8. naturescape

Seems the Bunton has plenty of power. Heck you can mate the 21hp unit with the 48 (or 36 if you're insane LOL) cutting deck if you need that much power. The 17 hp/48" seems fine for my needs. And I'm picky as hell.
  9. naturescape

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't realize that bunton was offering the 21hp on the 48" when I looked at them the biggest everyone was offering was 17hp EXCEPT hustler. But now that has changed since hustler dropped thier super line. Next mower I will definetly give the bunton a closer look.