Burger King does it, what do you do????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 27, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So I was thinking... today in the mail I got this coupon booklet from Burger King. Lots of "deals" to get you there to visit the King. Buy one Whopper, get one free.... Buy one Angus Burger, get one free. You get the picture. Now quit thinking with your stomach and think deeper.. WHY do they do this? Because come January and February that is the slowest time in fast food sales. Practically everyone is on a diet, everyone has made New Years Resolutions to get fit, and quit eating the junk. So they time this coupon booklet out perfectly, to try to entice you to fall off the diet wagon.

Now, what is the slowest time in YOUR business? For us, averaging out 8 years of business, August has ALWAYS been our slowest month. What do you do, if anything, to attract more sales for your business during YOUR slowest time? Ideas?

2. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Why is august your slowest instead of jan feb i can see why tho if you plow

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Monthly service agreements. I'm dead tired in the Spring, but get to take it easy the rest of the year. I also start pushing my advertising for Fall lawn renovations.

4. 1MajorTom

Sorry, I should have clarified better. December, January and February are not months that we work at all for providing any type of lawn maintenance, etc. I was not considering them in the equation. I was talking from March thru November as the months we are working.

5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I see now, same here as august drys up alot and as fall rains come back then it starts to kick start the grass again ........ maybe your on to something about giving coupons good only for the month of august

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I see your point but we honestly really never slow down. In the past few years we have taken probably well under 10 weekends off. I do a ton of up selling and getting more and more customers going to a "phaze" type planning so we stay busy all season with installs and seeding jobs ect. I bet a booklet type form of advertising would get to be very expensive.

7. BGTIME

BGTIME LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

why don't you work in the winter months?
    Tree trimming, mulch, planting, ....

8. 1MajorTom

snow usually is one factor, cold is another factor.

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Who wants to work in winter? I bust my hind end Feb-Nov, so I can spend 10 glorious weeks playing with my kids, putting around the shop and goofing off.
    We don't slow down in August, but we have tons of late payers in Late July/Aug. I don't know if it's because of vacations, or back to school expenses.

10. BGTIME

BGTIME LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

perfect time to send coupons out. No snow, not too cold

If it dosn't freeze here pretty soon, I might get a small Landscape job out of the way. I just have to make sure the customers $$ will be there.