Buried downspouts

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dkraft, Jun 15, 2004.

1. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

I am burying my downspouts and using pop up's to finish them off. My yard has got a nice slope away from the house. How far out from the house should I go before installing the pop up's? I am using 4" pvc pipe.
  2. rredogg

rredogg LawnSite Member

Hope I can give you a few helpful hints. I'm not one of the pros but I just laid 100 feet of that black corragiated (sic) pipe joining three gutters and running it out near the street. First of all I rented a sod cutter for the run and rolled the sod up and put it to one side of the planned trench. You should trench at least 8". I put the dirt on some burlap bags next to the trench. That makes it a lot easier to fill the trench later without additional damage to your lawn.

Some one else here gave me the idea of starting out under the gutter with a 90 degree corner (elbow) piece of corriguated and then fitting it to the long-run. It make for a neater job. At the end of the run I was able to fit a "Pop up" I bought at Home Depot to another corrigated 90.
    You will have excess dirt after back filling in the trench, so get your whellbarrow out and a plan for extra dirt. Also it would be a good idea to have a hand tamper to even out the dirt and again on your sod when you replace it.

Enyjoy your summer, rredogg
  3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I usually go 10' out if the slope is right and it is not directing the water to a neighbor's lawn.