Buring grass on purpose?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by tangofox1971, Nov 27, 2008.

1. tangofox1971

tangofox1971 LawnSite Member

I have done a search to no prevail. I have a guy who wants me to burn his grass. he says it will come back in the spring better. I have a propane burner wand i use for weeds in driveways and sidewalks etc. i have never done this before and dont know how to price this job. how much do you burn and how bad. What should it look like when properly burned? I am in arkansas all grasses are dormint now. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.
  2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

where is this yard? city? suburb? farm? how close to other houses?

i hear the burnt lawn look is in these days??????????

i would say if you burn the crowns/roots the grass might not recover come spring?

my opinion is the resulting char from the grass would benefit the soil but...
    does he want to reseed come spring? or grow out the burnt existing grass?

that will give you the answer how much to burn?

maybe tree gal will post? she's has probably the most experience here with this subject?
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

if you olny burn the top and not the root its a great practice, no tillage to grow weeds with and all the stolons or corms are safely tucked in the nice cool fire proof soil, and all the K stays just in the area you burn, we use this practice on several different types of fodder and ornamental grass, the 3 top performers are sedan grass(animal feed) empire sod(lawn) and muhly grass( native ornamental ). just light a fire and 3 weeks later its always better and naturally the best looking grass around. Bahia and some zoysia has also been burned on my watch, they do fine, maybe even better if burned. black plastic to fry the tops for a day and the 3 days to dry then its light them up

******also just get a burn permit they are like 20$ and save 1000$$$ in fines!!!!!!******
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. treegal1

there are more in the other posts...............

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard that wild fires get out in a farmers fields before. The guys will tell them let it go. The ash carries nutrients and after a while it will get back in the soil and help with new growth for the next go around. For crops, anyways
  6. tangofox1971

tangofox1971 LawnSite Member

It is a lawn with no other houses near by. about 1.5 acres. not in city limits. I would be afraid that the heat from the grass would transfer to the root even underground. Tree gal mind if i pm you for more info.
  7. treegal1

go ahead and ask away...
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We do that on a regular basis here in this part of the country. Always in the spring when there is still frozen ground and snow in the woods. Called a 'Controlled Burn'.

Nice and brite green a few weeks later. Never tried burning a bunch of green live material like in the picture. wow!!! Big headache there. :)
  9. T&J Landscaping

T&J Landscaping LawnSite Member

it is to late to burn grass, should of waited on a hot day , and lay tarps over the yard, in 2-3 days he will have burn grass,, or right now now u can just throw salt all over his yard, and wil burn real quick
  10. treegal1

did you ever wonder where the term your the salt of the earth came from???? it means that you could wreck any thing.

bad idea salting the ground!!!!!!