Burn spots from the dog

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Riggz, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Riggz

Riggz LawnSite Member

Is there anything out there that will help relive the burn spots that my yellow lab leaves me in the back yard? It looks like he's been in the Jim Beam & Pabst lately.
    Is there a product that can "help" bring back the health or should I just continue to: scratch it up, soak it, hand full of top soil, seed & straw? (that looks bad for a while also)

Thanks for any advise-
  2. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I used to have some neighbors who were really fussy about their lawn. When they let their dog out they'd go outside with him and wait until he did his business and then pour a big bucket of water over the spot to help dilute it. A pain I'm sure, but their lawn didn't have any brown spots in it like mine did (and does).
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

we have a vetranarian (sp) as a customer, he has two yellow labs as pets and generally is dog sitting for other dogs, not unussual for him to have 4 dogs roaming his back yard, yet no damage to the turf. He puts something in the dog food, I have no clue what it is but you may want to ask your vet
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

There are some products out there you put in their food. Check the pet stores.

5. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I had a customer drop moth balls to encourage the dog to go elsewhere. Don't know if it worked but it sounded good...Drew
  6. Have 3 labs and one smaller mix bread dog, i mix up 46 oz of tomatoe juice (cheapest) and 16oz cheap vegatable oil, squirt a small amount on dry dog food daily when feeding. Really helps the spots, and the oil helps their coat.

Was a another thread on this subject 3-4 weeks ago
  7. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I heard tomato paste work for that problem
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have a male choc lab that does the same thing. Then we have female black lab but dosen't hurt the grass....
  9. Riggz

Riggz LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys... went to the local PET Supply Store today and they had "treats" ($14 for a small jar) you can feed 'em for such an issue, who woulda thought! So here we go, 4-5 treats a day and see what happens.

So the bottom line is, I can't treat my lawn for the problem but I can cure my dog??? Funny.

BTW the Vet said that they don't recomend it, the dog may have issues in the future. I'll just use it during the 2 months of summer we have here in Wisconsin. :rolleyes:

Thanks again-
  10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

With my old dog we had the problem but it went away as she got older. I could have been related to the switch from puppy food to regular dog food. I don' t know...