1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Burned Hole in Forearm on new TBC230

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by re200, Aug 19, 2007.

1. re200

re200 LawnSite Member

First use of TBC230 for homeowner use only. While trimming I noticed that the right side of my right forearm suddenly got very hot. I remember I reacted by pulling my arm away from laying against the trimmer engine. After I finished and a few hours later, I noticed I had a burn in the skin on the side of my forearm about a 1/4 inch in diameter. It was in an almost perfect circle. The trimmer had cooled off so I wasnt able to check for a hot spot. But when I pick up the trimmer and hold it as I did the first time I used it, I observed that my long forearm laid back onto the engine and that the burn spot on my forearm matched up with pressing on the plug wire that runs across the face of the engine. When I use it again, I will try to determine what it is that is getting so hot as to burn a hole in my skin. I know it wasnt from the exhaust. Can a plug wire get that hot?
  2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking that maybe you had Ringworm??? Tanaka has great forearm ergonomics.
  3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Rub some Fluid Film on that! Dano??? Where is my free Hat!
  4. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

I have 2 of the 225s which is the same engine and I haven't had any burns. Maybe try holding it a little different?
  5. re200

re200 LawnSite Member

By accident I found what chewed up my forearm. The plastic housing on the muffler side of the TBC230 has a sharp edge around it. At the top and front of this housing on my 230, there was a very small sharp piece of plastic burr sticking up slightly along this edge. When I edged and had the trimmer tilted towards me, my forearm rested against this sharp piece of plastic and the vibration and force of my forearm against this small burr produced the small hole in my forearm. So a few light swipes with a flat file and the culprit was eliminated. So I am a happy Tanaka user again who also enjoys his new Tanaka THB 2510 handheld blower. (just remember not to turn around towards your open garage door with it)
  6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Sorry about that. Glad you found out what the problem was.