burned off my bermuda...now what

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by thomas.mccalpin, Mar 26, 2008.

1. thomas.mccalpin

thomas.mccalpin LawnSite Member

I recently burned off my bermuda(two weeks ago) due to excessive thatch buildup. I was instructed to do this by a scott's sales person. Now what. I see small thread of grass beginning to emerge and i recently ( yester day sprayed all visible weeds with otho's weed be gone. i have scott turfbuilder with halts. when do i apply? Did i ruin my yard by burning it off. It is approximately 15,000 square feet and I live in NW Alabama. I have no sprinker system but have the ability to water the entire yars daily due to strategically placed spickets. Help me please before I screw something up!!

2. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

what happened to your scott's guy? doesn't he have any grand ideas for you? I thought he was supposed to be a salesman.

3. thomas.mccalpin

thomas.mccalpin LawnSite Member

his estimate was through the roof....decided to do it myself. thanks for your HELP>>>;)

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The great (or bad ) thing about Bermuda is it is almost impossible to kill. It wont start actively growing until the soil temps heat up a bit. If you want to check use a digital meat thermometer you want to be at 62-65 at 1.5"-2" deep. Just hit it hard with the N and if you can have it water 3-4 times a day just to keep the top moist this will encourage tillering/lateral growth. You shouldn't do this until it heats up and not for more that 2-3 weeks tops.

5. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I think your best HELP is someone onsite, like the scott's guy. You're welcome.