Burned Out..........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, May 19, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: I know this is the wrong section to post but I need some advise.

As many of you know I have been Thinking long and hard about the lawn business, and it's long term benefits. This is one of the many negatives I have been pondering about in the long run.

For the last 2-3 weeks I have been VERY stressed out, B/c of issues like Cash flow, weather and customer complaints, and the large amount of work we have. so for the past few weeks everything I can think about is negative, I have a bad attitude towards things in general. I stilll LOVE my business, but it is "beating me up" so to speak. I am at the point now where I could care less if so and so calls and complains, I just tell them we are doing the best we can.:rolleyes: I have a sort of don't CARE attitude, were as usually I care about the littlest details. I have been seroiusly thinking about hanging it up, but deep down that is not what I want.

The only thing I can think of is "Burn Out" that I've heard many business owners talk about. This time of year a vaction is out of the question.

So what im asking is for some of you experienced guys to give me some advise as to what I can do to get my mental self back on track, because If I don't do something soon I may lose some good customers, and hurt the business in the short term.

2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

well i am only in my third year of business for myself so i am not exactly a know it all but i do know what stress feels like and i have been in your shoes a time or two.When things start to pile up i make myself step back and realize that not everything is in my control and that i need to just relax before i do or say something that i cant take back-for instance the weather has put me back two weeks in my schedule (we do lawn care and hardscape installs and maint)but i know that i will catch up if i just relax and keep the guys working smart-what more can you do your only human- i always try to get away before plowing season starts for a long weekend with the wife, that gets me through till summer-hell the spring has been so busy that i cant believe the second quarter is almost over,good luck and breathe man breathe:waving:

3. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Is getting good and drunk out of the question?

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^ That'll make it worse. He needs to catch up, not throw up.

5. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

^ No, he needs to de-stress and get very relaxed. That can do wonders. Mind you, he doesn't have to drink to the point of being sick...

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Damian,
    Getting drunk only temporarily makes your problems go away. Once you sober up trust me, they'll still be there waiting for you.

JPocket,
    I think everyone is experiencing a little strees the last couple months. I mean the economy is getting worse so the industry is only getting worse, prices are dropping, quality is going down, and more people are jumpng in it every day. I mean we do around 110 properties a week, all residential, anywhere from 3,000 sq. ft. to over an acre and I mean there are days I just wanna hang everything up too cuz of having a bad day. Since the first of April we've lost 11 customers due to lowballers, deaths, or lack of funds. Everyone wants a landscaper from the first week of April til end of June and then again for another two months in the fall for cleanups. This whole past week has been crap and we're just covering our expenses and not making much money with all this rain. The lawns take double or triple the time to cut because they are wet and tall and the blowing kills us too, espeically in a steady rain like we've had the past 7 days. We haven't been able to do any install work because of the conditions and we need the additional help cuttin lawns. All I can say is hang in there, summer is around the corner and I think for most people the lawns stop growing as fast and there is a little less headaches. It's important that you take a little time off every now and then to relax. Hope all goes well.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It's the Springtime Blues...face it, Spring sucks. The grass grows too friggin' fast, everybody and their brother wants mulch and crap done too. At first you're excited for the start of the new season but it's easy to get overwhelmed with work and scheduling everything. By June things settle down and at least for me my stress levels decrease.

8. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I'm not talking about making the problems go away. I'm talking about giving the body a temporary break from the built up stress partly caused by the physicalness of the job. If you regularly have a couple or few beers this probably won't help at all, but if you seldom/never drink, it can do wonders. 'Course, you don't want to do this if you have to work the next day because this job really sucks trying to do with a hangover.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Na man it's alittle more seroius than just taking a drink and having a 3 day week end. I'm at a point now where I need some direction as to where I wan to take the company. I've already decided that I want to get into something else other than the lawn bus. I just don't know wiether I want to grow more, or scale back or WHAT???????????? Im just frustrated to the point where it's affecting my everyday life. Im in a back mood everyday, and can't funtion on the job like I used to.

the sad part is I told on of my guys the other day to "just do whatever" on a lawn. And we all know thats not good, to make matters worse I didn't even care at that moment.

10. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

This reply form Damian is the BONEHEAD :hammerhead: reply of the day. Congratulations !!! :usflag:

My reply is that we ALL have stress and anger. I work 60 hours a week and am tired all the time. BUT, my family is healthy, my house payment gets paid, and we have food on the table. Life couldn't be better for me !!!!:usflag: