1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

burned out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutbetterthanyou, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys i am burned out on cutting grass it gets like this about every august just a little worse this year because i am solo.I was just wondering if this happens to everyone else and how to pull through it because i am just ready to say screw it. I actually love what i do and make decent money i am just to that point where i could care less what stuff looks like or if i even get out of bed in the morning. I still do what I should but i just don't want to. This attitude will most likely go away as it does every year .I just hate being this miserable for a month or two every year.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya well, after you have mowed the same lawns over 20 times it becomes a grind. The sun is slanting and so is your energy level. Cool temps make you feel like taking an afternoon nap. You just have to think what winter will be without any money. That usually wakes me up and motivates:laugh:

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

not to mention that we are losing daylight also. when the sun comes up here around 6am, i'm up and going, now its getting later and later, and i'm feeling the same way, don't want to get up at 6am cuz its still dark:sleeping:, but once i get up and going, i'll go all day! i love my job! its my therapy...LOL:drinkup:

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am begining to burn out. I am solo as well except on mondays of course (not that you would know that....lol.)

I am looking forward to the first week of November. It will be nice to have a couple of days off.

I won't get to take the entire week off but I can take a couple of days at least.

5. billslawn89

ya..i was thinking of that today, once things slow down here, it won't be the 10-12 hour days for awhile! :drinkup:

6. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I dont know what your financial sitiuation is but you might want to rethink your buisness.
    cut back on the mowing and increase the landscaping or lawn renovations.
    this way it is not such a grind.
    Sub out 2 days and go after some cool projects.
    There is so much to do other than mowing.
    good luck.

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

We need some stinking rain!! My bahia lawns are already going dormant. Not good for the turf yet! It needs to be given a chance to slow down in the cooler temps not fry and die...

I am only having to mow because of seed heads right now so that is helping a little with the exhaustion!

8. billslawn89

ya i noticed the same thing with the seed heads on bahai lawns, i hate those things..we had some good rains last week from ike, outer bands of rain reached me so things are still growing good, but before that rain, i was telling some of my clients to put their irrigation back on..

9. cutbetterthanyou

Thanks for the responses. As far as the landscaping goes, i would like to, but i am not in an area where people are in to spending much money, plus i don't really get how you get a good solid schedule of landscaping. At least mowing is semi guaranteed work. Arould here lawn renovations, what are they?

10. cutbetterthanyou

Not here its growin like crazy