Burned out!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Technologies, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Anyone at that point now? There just fed up and ready to sell everything?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i did this spring feel great:D

3. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

haha..... I'm feeling it right now

But maybe if I had a Lazer Z i wouldnt feel this way :)

4. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

have two doesn't help

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, but then I think of punchin the clock again, an the feeling goes away. Look forward to the winter when I can kick back for a couple of months.

If I get really fed up, I just send the crew out and take a long weekend.:D

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Turf Technologies, what do you mean by burned out? Your only 22 years old. Did you really want to get into this field of work or just stumbled into it since you didn't know what you really wanted to do.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Whenever I get that way, the equipment mysteriously breaks down and forces me to take a day off. Puts me back on track. That and I'm not going to do anything else for work, so if I want to keep living in my house and eating, I gotta go to work. I've got a 5 month break coming in December.

:D

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you're feeling burned out, buy a new piece of equipment and try to sell that service. or buy something a little bigger/better to improve your effeciency.

i've bought all of the following in the last 2 months.
    echo 750T back pack blower
    shindaiwa T-230 weedwacker
    shindaiwa DH22 hedge clipper
    mower sulky.

now i don't mind weedwacking & mowing (for the next 3 months.) Next year i'll have to buy a new mower to hold me for the season :D

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a word of advice. for any of you considering selling out and workin for someone else, think again. i worked for a company for 13 years, was on the verge of a nervous break down, started my lawn business, wasnt makin much, but it was enough so i wouldnt starve. i walked out on my job one day. i just decided that i was too good to be treated this way, walked out without saying a word. 5 weeks later i got a job with a major competitor. they were so glad to have me, and kissed my butt just to keep me. the money is good, but sometimes that dont matter. been there like 8 yrs now. it blows!coworkers are border line retarted, i have to punch a clock, im in the same 4 walls ALL DAMN NIGHT LONG. i really dont have to do much while im there, but i still need to muster up the energy to bring myself to go there every day. on the other hand, i jump out of bed in the morning to go cut my lawns. i have more pride and self respect while im sweating my arse off as a lawn boy, for half the pay, than when im at my job. if you are the kind of person who likes what he sees when he looks in the mirror, then stick with your business. make it work. do things to keep yourself from getting bored or burned out. start another division, with a related but different type of service. expand, cut them all with a pushmower if u have to if u need a change. what i do sometimes to break up the feeling of repetativeness is use a different set of mowers and trimmers and blowers every week. alternate trucks, whatever you have to do. but DONT, PLEASE DONT, get a job working for someone else.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

most jobs suck. but at least being self employed if i am late to work i cant get fired or can I:confused: