Burned out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by theturfsurfer, Feb 28, 2005.

1. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

How does everyone deal with becoming burned out? Every year around the middle of August I become burned out. The felling passes quickly but was just curious if this happens to others and how you deal with it?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Well, when I worked solo, it usually happens for me every July. I then hire on someone for about 2 months, and then go back to solo for the fall.

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Take some time off then. Every 2 months I take a 3 day weekend and go golfing at the Lake of the Ozarks or fishing up in WI. You have to take time off or you drive yourself crazy.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Happens ever year to me also. I just keep driving forward like a mind-numbed robot. It's persevering through the tough times that separates the men from the boys.

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

True but you have to be smart about it also. We all work outside in the summer in hard conditions. Taking a short break is good for the body as well as the mind. If you keep going and going and going it can affect you as well your business and your family or the people around you.

6. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Burnout seems like it always happens. when it does, I might get a friend to help me out for a day or two. Also, taking a day off and going to the lake helps. It seems like by September I cant wait for winter, but by february I m always excited about mowing again. Happens every year.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A house at the Jersey shore for the month of July did wonders for me this past year...I agree with others, take some time off.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I know I'm getting burned out when I pull up to a thursday lawn and I can just swear that I just mowed it 2 days ago even though it was a week. I get burned out mowing just as you would with any job, you start to dread certian accounts and doing trimming and edging. all I do when I start the day is do the math to figure out what time I will be done at the end of the day. In a way the routine is nice but in another way it bites since nothing changes... Last year went by so fast, seems like I was doing the first cut and a month went by and I was cleaning up leaves again... A vacation about mid-summer would be great, but mowing 5 or 6 days a week dosn't allow for it. If you are solo maybe find someone to help you for a week or so at a time jsut to make things go quicker and give you some shorter work days. Providing you can find a friend or someone that isn't a total idiot with the equipment... I have done this before, aside from the new stress of him screwing stuff up it gave me some relief and allowed me to kinda recooperate a little. Once he was gone all I had to do was think about the dumb stuff he did and then it made me appreciate working solo again! Good luck, hope your year goes smooth!

9. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

We have a nice place on a lake I like to go to alot. RV---Fishing____etc. Very very relaxing to go to.