Burned Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by kingenterprises, Oct 2, 2012.

1. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

2001 Tiger Cub. I was changing the fuel filter (After having mowed for a few minutes). The Mower engine was not running, I had blown the debris away from the deck and engine compartment. I clamped the tank side of the fuel line and was in the process of attaching the new filter when WOOSH. The fuel which had leaked from the filter ignited! This mower was inside the door of my barn and I did not have a fire extinguisher! I man handled the mower into the drive and managed the fire with a hose while it completely burned up.

1. Never work on the fuel system of a mower after having run it (HOT), fuel will ignite simply from the heat of the exhaust system.
    2. Always - I mean Always have a chemical fire extinguisher handy. You cannot put out a gasoline fire with water.

Positives: No one was hurt - The barn did not burn up.

burned scag.jpg
  2. slqlc

slqlc LawnSite Member

We have had 2 mowers catch on fire so far. lucky no one was hurt!
  3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

A few new tires an some paint. Good to go!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

Damn. Sorry to hear about your loss man. Thankfully no one was hurt. Let this be a lesson for all of us.
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Well at least you can probably part out the deck, hydros and maybe the shortblock.:usflag:
  6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

That Sucks...Glad you were not hurt and the barn was spared!

JLSLLC LawnSite Gold Member

Glad nobody was hurt /burned.. I could only imagine the feeling of having to push a rider that was on fire!!! Glad your alright
  8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the scags in my area aren't that clean.
  9. orinicklawncare

orinicklawncare LawnSite Member

sorry for the loss but if your interested in parting it out PM me I am interested in some parts.
  10. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

When I realized I could not get the fire put out and the mower was toast (Literaly). I threw a moving blanket over the fire (Back of mower). I grabbed the front of the mower - lifted the front and drug it out of the barn.

I have bought a new tiger cat from my scag dealer

I will eventually take this mower to the steel scrap yard and sell for scrap steel price. I plan to keep the blades and the deck spindles which will fit my new mower.

NOTE: The fire was HOT - AFRICA HOT. THe back of the mower was completely consumed and the fire was hot enough to melt the aluminum parts of the engine. I know nothing about hydro motors but I know they got really hot in this fire.

MODEL: STC48A-21KA
    Serial: 6600906

Anyone who wants any parts from this mower, PM me and I'll pull them before I haul it to the scrap yard.

Orinicklawncare - I will pm you.

Thanks for your replys. PLEASE learn from my mistakes and be sure to keep fire extinguishers very handy.