Burned the transmission gears on my scagg

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, May 6, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I was loading it sideways on my trailer and it was pushing against the trailer while i had it on full speed ahead and i think thats how i broke the transmission gears. It has new drive belts and jackshaft pulleys so letting it push against the trailer broke the trans. Is it worth repair or should i just replace the whole transmission. What should i look for or where do i start?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You may have just stripped the splines on the output shafts. If so you could probably replace them. Check the couplers too. I think they would be less likely to strip than the outputs but check anyway. You should be able to get a trans for about $170, so if it has a lot of hours on it, it would be worth the money to buy a whole new one.

3. Check to see if the engine to trans belt is loose first.<p>The output shafts in a peerless unit is one<br>piece. Both output shafts will spin unless<br>the output shaft is broken in half.

4. bdemir

Well, the trive belt is tight and it turns. The trans makes a krackling slipping sound when engaged or any time i move it even without the engine on. I dont know what the output shafts are but the rid connecting both of the jackshaft pulleys is not cracked and it truns when the wheels turn but i just cant get it to spin with the engine and make it move. i think something is cracked because sometimes it will turn then it will stop.

5. bdemir

just trying to get more help.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Check the drive pulley for loose set screw/missing key.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

those transmisions are known for eating input shafts and bearings, i would pull the top half of your transmision and see whats a going on, not hard to do on that unit..<br>let us know what you find.