Burnin' Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Jul 16, 2001.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

While cutting my backyard today with my lawnboy, i noticed i was surrounded by a foul smelling cloud of blue smoke,
    No this was not the regular 2-cycle smoke it puts out, This was the smoke from wet grass collecting on the under-the-deck muffler that it has on it.
    So i turn it off let it cool off and start mowing again.

Really the jist of this is:
    What can i put on the muffler so grass won't stick to it and won't blow it up in my face(combustibles)?????????
  2. vipermanz

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a lawn boy some years ago, and it did the same thing. :( The only thing that I could do was to keep the underside of the deck clean. If the grass would build up, then the muffler would start to smoke. As hot as the muffler gets, wouldn`t know of anything that could be put on it to keep the grass from sticking.
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My question is this: Why in the world does it have an under the deck muffler? What's wrong with the regular way? If you have the cash, I'd get a different mower. Good luck.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

That is weird, I go along with Jeff on this one, you may want to upgrade when the opportunity appears.
  6. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

clean it - touch it up - sell it for money to buy something that you wont never have to shut down no matter how hairy the grass gets - with a name like viper my impression is that you owned a lesco viper - im sitting here in awe like WTH is he talking about a lawnboy LOL !!!!:p
  7. vipermanz

How do you know i don't have a lesco viper huh?

Besides, it will run better than any other 21 on this whole board:D
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Oh Yeah?

I have a MTD LawnFlite...20".....wanna race? :D

Seriously though...whats with a muffler UNDER the cutting deck..I don't understand that either.

Don't it get beat up by pebbles and twigs, etc? Or rusty due to damp conditions?

Maybe if I saw it in person it would make more sense to me.
  9. vipermanz

Sls, I really don't understand the under deck muffler either, It's on a bbc if thats any help, I'll take a pic and post here so you all can see it , btw, it don't get messed up by stuff hitting it But it sure does steam in the rain!

The Race Is On;)
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure that your exhaust ports aren't plugged?
    If you are using petroleum based 2 cycle oil you may have partially clogged exhaust ports. Take the thing apart and clean the ports. Then switch over to Amsoil and run 100:1 synthetic oil.

I have a Lawnboy and it is a very good trim mower. The petroleum based Lawnboy oil is good for killing mosquitos and not real good if mixed incorrectly. I have been using synthetic 2 cycle in all of my 2 cycles and have not had one problem in 6 years. Good Luck