1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Burnin yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Mar 7, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Around these parts I have seen for many years people burn their grass before spring, claims it greens up better. I thought I read somewhere that it wasn.t good for it cause it damages the root system. Anybody have any insight on this here sudject matter.
  2. Up North we call that arson. It's a felony.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I know many golf courses will burn the rough in the spring. They say it makes it grow thicker. Never heard anything about root damage. I would think this would be done while the grass is still dormant.
  4. HOMER

Well down cheer we call that a bon fire, as long as there is a good ol pig in the ground and the byeer is cold it.s really considered a party. Sometimes them crosses tend to spread a little too much though when them good ol boys set them a far!

Thanks for that timely, although somewhat evasive, response!
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

brush fire ;-) ...acually can't say for one's yard but the brush areas come back great after a season
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It must be a southern THANG Homer. :D
    We can't even burn leaves here and I'm surprised they don't ban fireplaces here too.

I have noticed where there are grass fires, it does green up nice and sure gets rid of that dead thatch. ;)
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Heres what Ive been ponderin:

If I bring the pig and the garlic for roastin, will you guarantee me when they start them crosses a far youll cut on the lights??(cause i know how y.all love us yankees down thar -LOL)j/k

Actually in reference to your question, I have not heard about people actually doing this to residential turfgrasses. I know that when I was growing up in Northern CA that they would burn-off the fields after every 4th crop or so to revitalize the nutrients in the soil. At least thats what the FFA boys proclaimed it was for.

I would check with your county Ag Ext to see if they say whether or not to mash that thar idear.

Let me know
  8. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Had a neighbor when i was growing up that burn his grass every spring. It gets rid of the dead grass(i think he thought it was easier than raking) and green up nice but is sure a mess. Up here in the bluegrass seed fields they burn in the first part of August.Some days you can't even see the sun.
  9. HOMER

I like the way you talk.

Dueling banjos

Ya.ll must really think we.re a bunch of rednecks.

But ya, bring the pig and garlic, we won.t tell any of them boys where your from.
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad to see this post. I've pondered over this phenomenon for quit some time. Two of my neighbors have done it here also. One yard has come back full and very green!! The other yard still looks weak. I would think fertilizer would be much better than this.