Burning bush and maple trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mrsops, Jun 14, 2010.

1. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys i came across something very strange today and I'm wondering if someone can help me out on this matter. I planted about 40 burning bush and about 20 maple trees in a shopping center last year in November. Now i just passed the shopping center today and all the burning bush and half the of the maple trees are all ready turning red. What the hell is going on????

Ive really never seen this before and I'm starting to get a little nervous are they getting to much water?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Did you amend the soil or till up the planted areas before you installed them?

3. mrsops

no i filled the area in with top soil and every was planted in the top soil

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing you answered your own question.

Did you check the soil with a probe?

How much water have they been getting?

5. mrsops

Everyday they get water. I did put a call in to my sprinkler guy to see what he has the timer set on.

6. Mark Oomkes

Do they need water every day?

How much rain have you been getting?

What's the soil under the topsoil?

7. mrsops

We havent been getting much rain.. Its been hot out so i told him to let the water go everyday. Its all top soil

8. Mark Oomkes

OK, then we go back to, do they need water?

Get a soil probe and start checking next to the root balls. Only way you're going to know for sure.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If you just threw in topsoil then I'm wondering if you have a hardpan situation. The water is draining out of the good soil and stopping at the hardpan/clay layer left over from the construction.

Probably wet feet, or poor sub-soil conditions that are affecting the plants.

10. mrsops

Are they going to die thou??