1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Burning Bush turning red

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shuter, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has Burning Bushes that are perfectly healthy, except they do not turn red in the Fall. This is the only customer that I have this problem with. We are in Zone 7 and the soil is very acidic. Any ideas on how to change theses plants to turn red, maybe with a special fertilizer??
  2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Are these burning bushes in shade? The degree of red is greater the more sun they get.
  3. Shuter

I will have to check the sunlight. There are a lot of tall Pines around the yard, so there may not be much sun in this one spot.
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that shade is my first reaction. I look out of my office window (Falmouth, down town) and see a hedge that is bright red in full sun while the shaded one directly in front of me is only slightly pink.

Is it showing any reddish color at all?
  5. Shuter

It shows no color. The plantings are in Mashpee and are surrounded by pines. The plants are healthy, just not red.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Probably not enough sun as has been suggested.They need full sun for good color.
  7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at someone's house on Sunday. The BB in the shady back yard was as green as an army truck except on the very top where it appears that the sunusually hits it. It was not very red, but way more red than the rest of it.
  8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

For whatever it's worth, this area uses burning bush regularly for landscape purposes. I've had burning bushes side by side, all getting the same amount of sun, and still some would turn quicker than others. Withholding water can force some plants into changing or blooming, but lets assume water is evenly distributed, light, soil and ph is the same from one bush to the next, as well as fertilizer (potassium requirements, I think). Everything equal, they may still will change at different times. I have three tall aspens in front of my place, side by side, but they leaf out, turn color, and drop leaves at different times. Interesting. It could be fun to experiment with this.
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I resurrected this old thread because I'm seeing something a bit strange at a number of properties where we trimmed the burning bushes the past month.

On at least 2 properties, many of the leaves have fallen off on different plants and some parts of theplant are already turning red and its only July. We used no petrol based products on the shears when we trimmed.

are you seeing this on any of your properties??

My only guess is that because we have not seen much sun this summer, that they are tricked into thinking its fall due to the reduced sunlight the past couple of months combined now with less daylight hours as the days get shorter??? Bark is green but thats no gurantee that these things are not on their way to croaking...

any opinions are much appreciated ..thanks
  10. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

The amount of red colored foliage on plants like burning bush is very often determined by the amount of sunlight. You also see this characteristic in nandinas. Also, remember there is some genetic variation depending on the method of propigation. Two brothers may have the same parents, but one's hair color might be slightly different. Think along those lines. However, if they were propigated asexually, I would look again for environmental conditions.