Burning Bushes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NBurke3652, Dec 13, 2007.

1. NBurke3652

NBurke3652 LawnSite Member

I live in Louisville KY and I am new to the landscaping part of this business but I am wondering if it is ok to cut back burning bushes now in december? There are quite a few of them and I don't want to damage them for next year so if anyone could help out I would appreciate it. Need I say that we have had some inconsistent weather this year but it is somewhere around the high 50's right about now.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I would probably wait until the bush is done burning; you dont want to burn your hands or lose your brow!

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ha! funny!!!

4. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

i am not 100% sure but i think u can cut any bush any time.

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

You can cut off your leg at any time too, that doesnt mean it is a good idea or that it will look good.

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with hoskm01 wait until early spring
    If you chop them off and have a bitter winter it will not be a good result

What is the word........dessication, they have no choice but to dry out and be hurt. The humidity during the winter is what???? 30% on average, often less for long periods

7. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

oh yea i forgot those bushes loose there leaves. duhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8. NBurke3652

NBurke3652 LawnSite Member

I guess I will just waint until early spring, I had imagined that it is too late now I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

9. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

A burning bush is a great plant to dormant prune. When the tree is dormant, after the leaves drop, you can go ahead and get in there and do some structural pruning. Remove crossing branches, branches that grow toward the center of the shrub, and thin it out for better air circulation. You may want to trim back the shrub to control its size. The key to doing a nice job is to make it look like you weren't even there when you are done.

Burning bush will do ok if they are sheared every year with hedge clippers. They will look great, and more natural, if you do some structural pruning.

Good luck!

10. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

In this area, the rabbits can totally destroy burning bush over the winter. We usually wait until springtime so we can clean up their damage and shape the plants at the same time. One of the main reasons for planting burning bush is their fall color, so we absolutely leave them alone once the new growth has hardened off in the spring.