Burning grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

First of all let me say that NO I don't mean the funny type and I am not talking about customers yards.

I was wondering what you guys thought about burning your yard off early in the season. I can remember doing this every year growing up at my parents house. I do this about every 3 years due to having the beloved Bermuda and as we all now no matter how hard we try it gets buildup of clippings. Seems a lot of people around my area do it too.

The local army base does it every so often to cut down on the fire hazard and to promote new growth too.

So, what do you think about this?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a teacher that did that, i don't see the point my self. i dethatch and aerate mine instead

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you use to burn the grass? I wouldn't do it just because it sounds like a good way to start a fire that I can't control.

Another thing to think about is that if the relevant jurisdiction bans the burning of leaves, burning grass might be legally problematic.

4. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

5. Carolina Cutter

I used a magic fire box......LIGHTER....LOL

6. edger

edger LawnSite Member
    from NC

I'd start with a BIC lighter or a match as Mr. Fisher said.

The relevant jurisdiction! legally problematic! Come on now, are you for real sounding like that? I'd say that Mr. Merlin being a firefighter in the same area as to which he lives would know what the North Carolina burning regulations are. But then again he does work for the city and may need help on the burning regulations :rolleyes:

Chris

7. edger

edger LawnSite Member
    from NC

8. Carolina Cutter

Well heck I know all that....remember I am a fireman? I live in an area that burning is allowed........and well sometimes I just don't sweat it. I was just wondering if anybody knew any pros or cons......

9. Carolina Cutter

Well you know us city fireman...we aint that smart.....oh crap what am I saying....you will be one soon...here comes the annexation monster....BUAAAAGGGHHHH

10. Carolina Cutter

You come to my place and I can garantee there is one of these in my yard......LOL