burning, itching legs

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by all ferris, Jul 14, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

It's too hot to wear pants so my and I worker wear shorts. Today my worker was complaining that his legs itched and kinda burned. I didn't have this problem today but I have had it happen b4. It only seems to happen when it is hot and humid. It also dosent seem to matter if its an untreated or treated lawn. Also, it seems to only affect my legs when on the ztr. What could this be? Lasts a couple hours and then goes away. Any ideas?
  2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

my lower legs burn if i use insect repellant and then sweat to much. Im afraid to ask if its your upper or lower legs lol. If its only when you wear shorts on your lower legs could be a reaction to something when your sweat pours open. Try a NON DROWSY allergy pill before you go out in the morning. Helps me sometimes.
  3. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

Sounds like hives. Please read the link before forming an opinion. Also Kahki type pants are your best bet in the heat. Lighter than jeans and protective. They also "breath" very well so they are not hot to wear. As comfortable as shorts but offer some protection.

......Allergic reactions, chemicals in foods, insect stings, sunlight exposure, or medicines can all cause histamine release. Sometimes it's impossible to find out exactly why hives have formed.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen hives before and he would know if he had them.

I was actually going to recommend bug spray. This time of year there are a lot of small bugs that get disturbed up out of the grass when you cut. They're almost like a small swarm. I itched bad for years until I noticed that the tiny bugs were always around when I itched. Deep Woods Off fixed it.
  5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies, Yes it is my lower legs only. I will try Off. I thought it might be bug bites but I don't remember being bitten????
  6. JasonX

JasonX LawnSite Member

It’s probably heat rash. Whether I wear pants or shorts when it’s hot out and I sweat I have these red rashes on my legs at the end of the day. They will go away, may take a day or two.

Here is a link that explains more about heat rash.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have given up on short this year. I know, crazy as it sounds! I have NO problems with the "heat" Honestly I don't see any differenct at all in my body temperature. I had so many problems with weeds and grass being on my legs from trimming being on there ALL DAY, I'd eventually start to itch like cracy from that stuff. I was miserable in the evenings and had to put anti-itch lotion on my legs just to stay sane. Since I went to wearing jeans all the time I don't have that problem. Not to mention that I actually stay cleaner and my shoes get less crap in them!

Some jeans are better than other then others for the summer tho. I only have 3 pair that are worn and thin enough for the heat. All the rest I own are either too heavy or too baggy for the summer months. I have looked at lightweight pants like kahkis and whatnot, but I wear a 36" inseam and anything above a 34" is impossible to find at a regular store...

Oh, i forgot to mention.. you mentioned being bitten! How bout chiggers! I would say the same thing, that I never had mosquitoes biting me that much but I have red welts all over my legs. I still get them with the jeans, but only around my ankles. still irritating, but better than behind my knees!!!
  8. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

Same thing used to happen to me and the help for about a two week period in July every year, lower legs burn and itch like mad when you get into July. Never did find a cause, the cure for me was to stop wearing shorts. It seemed to me it always happened right after 4th of july and almost alwsys right after mowing a yard with zoysia in it. Bugs or sap from clippings, never knew for sure, but I and the help gave up on shorts years ago, got to where we couldn't stand the clippings from the weed eaters anymore.
  9. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

Who hasn't seen hives before? If you would have read the article, you would have seen that are numerous types of and causes for hives. Just because you have seen one form does not mean you can ID a "histamine release" of another type. That is after all what I am referring to in this case. A histamine release triggered by sunlight exposure. Why not his whole body then? I will let you fret that out yourself. It was probably not hives you have seen before anyway. Alot of things are called by names other than what they really are by lay people. Or should I call you Doc?
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No-see-ums and lawn fleas could be the cause,throw the Off away and use CUTTER it's the best.Bugs here eat Off for breakfast,lunch and dinner.