Burning Oil After 15 minutes of run

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by krgrn, Jul 7, 2004.

1. krgrn

krgrn LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a new Briggs&Stratton 25 hp motor to replace a motor that destroyed itself from the inside out. After getting new motor mounted and wired up everything fired up and was looking good. I began cutting grass with no issues for about 15 minutes. The motor bogged down and blew a huge puff of blue oil smoke out of the exhaust. It cleared up and ran for about 15 minutes and did the same thing again. One i puff and cleared up. This is the first brand new motor I have ever messed with and was wondering if the rings may not be seated yet or if I need to look elsewhere.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I had something similar to this happen to me with a commercial pressure washer. Turned out that it had been shipped on its side and the oil in the crankcase filled the float bowl and muffler.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

What locutus says sounds right. Engines are shipped with little if any oil because the shipper is afraid it will get all over every thing but if it was shipped on its side or upside down what little was in it would have got in the carb, air filter, muffler and any where else it could find to go. Recheck to make sure it is not overfilled which is easy to do with clean oil because it does not show up on the dip stick very well. UPS, FedEx and the USPO says that they will only ship engines that do not have any oil in them and will not ship any that have ever had gas in them but I doubt that they check many of them.

4. krgrn

krgrn LawnSite Member

Thanks. I ran the engine for about an hour yesterday and it got worse in its smoking and then started to clear up. The last twenty minutes or so the motor ran fine with no issues. Must have just been the oil from the factory getting in the card as both of you suggested.

5. krgrn

krgrn LawnSite Member

Make that in the carb and not the card......