Burning Oil!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dhodson2004, Aug 24, 2006.

1. dhodson2004

dhodson2004 LawnSite Member

Hello again. I thought that I should look into this before I blow my motor. My 5HP Briggs & Stratton is burning oil at a fast rate. In about an hour and a half of light use, it burns 8-12 oz. It lets out a HUGE cloud of blue smoke that follows me around. It smokes in reverse, going up an incline, and when the deck is engaged. My yard is blue the entire time I am mowing. Too bad the black flies and mosquitoes are already gone. I noticed that the crankcase gasket has been leaking. Could this be the cause? Or might it need rings? Here is the engine info: Model: 130902 Type: 1177 01 Code: 87040110. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Given the fact that engine is going on 20 yrs. old I would lean to-wards the rings being worn. A compression or better yet leak-down test would tell the story. Then the head removed and cylinder checked for grooves, ridge condition and mic. the cylinder would determine if a new set of rings would be beneficial. Time and labor should be factored in should it need re-boring, So it may just be time to up-date your fleet with a new unit.

3. dhodson2004

That was my thought... $ into this one, or a new one? I am going to try to get the rest of the season out of it. Then I will decide what to do. I just wanted to see what might be the problem is. I have about a dozen horizontal shaft motors for wood splitters. No vertical ones though.

4. dhodson2004

I got about ΒΌ of my lawn cut earlier with the rider. I gave up and had to finish with the push mower. There was too much smoke to see, not to mention the smell. I called the small engine repair down the road from me. They said going on 20 years old, it would probably need to be bored out. Being an aluminum block, the cylinder has probably worn oval. He said that I could put $400-$500 into it, with no guarantee that it will not smoke. They also said that it would be hard to find a short block engine for the mower. Atleast the mowing season is just about over. Maybe I can get something come tax time.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Geez Louise, if this is a 20 year old rider with only a 5hp mower on it, do yourself a favor and move up to something else. Something with at least a 12.5 or so. I mean, I've seen YardBugs and stuff with the little 5 horse motors but that's just asking for limited use. :dizzy:

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

$400 to $500???????? you could buy a NEW 5 hp engine for less than $200!

I guess if that 5hp 20 year old rider gets 'er done, that's all that matters, but I think the old girl is due to be put out to pasture there.

7. dhodson2004

The short time that I have had it, I have loved it. It sure as heck beats pushing one! The mower and deck are in excellent shape for being an 87. No rust and the paint is still like new. It just bites that it burns that much oil. My brother used to bulid/rebuild small engines. When he was in North Carolina, he was racing go carts. He said he can take it apart on Saturday and find out why it is burning so much oil. If it is repairable, atleast the labor won't be more than the parts. Ebay has the parts I would need for less than half the price B & S wants. That is including shipping! I'll post back after we get it apart. When I do get a new one, I want something like 20 hp! With a cup holder!!

8. dhodson2004

I have no clue what type of engine this rear engine mower will accept. The guy from the small engine repair shop said that a short block engine is hard to find. Where could I find an engine for under $200? www.northerntool.com has 6.5 hp engines for under $200, but they look like engines for push mowers. Thanks.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just wondering if you have a digital camera that you can take a picture of this engine on the mower? Also, if you are going to order an engine online, for Pete's sake don't order it from NT. Check out www.smallenginewarehouse.com or www.acengines.com . Smallenginewarehouse would probably be cheaper on the shipping.

10. dhodson2004

When I finish cleaning off my workbench, I'll take the engine out. I'll post pictures of it.