burning the grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by springover, May 24, 2007.

1. springover

springover LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I just did an app. about 14 days ago of Loveland fert 30-3-5. I applied to several properties and some of them are burnt and others look incredible. There is a 6.5 acre property that has a few small areas that seem a little stressed.

My spreader was set the same for all and i was getting the appropriate setting to get 15k sq feet per bag. any ideas on what I did?

And from previous measurements of the properties I was achieving 15k out of each bag.

Thanks

2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

what are you applying and what is the weather. tell me everything!

3. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

first of all applying a 30 count N is a no no this time of year. you just stimulated all the sedge nutlets. What is the herbicide you used?

4. springover

Im in the midwest, about 18 days ago or so, we recieved about 3.5 inches of rain during a sunday and none since. The temp was above normal maybe in the mid 80's

30% nitrogen
    3% available phosphate
    5% soluble potash
    2.8% sulfur
    3.9% chlorine

5. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

Thats alot of N. I would certainly encourage people to water and I hope that was amoniacle N you used. If not just back off the fertizer until fall. Grass needs very little N this time of year. It needs it in fall for storage...

6. springover

yes it was amoniacle...this is what the grasspad recomended. i am going to get the crabgrass preemergent down by june 1. do you think this is a good idea?

7. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

as long as you spray pre-m only. you need to relize that that fertilizer is what you are paying for to act as your carrier for your A.I (active ingredient). Thats a waste of money. Use water as your carrier and get a emulsifiable concentrate or water dispusable granular as your pre-m. I would not spread a granular with pre-m unless I absolutely had too. Cool season grass only needs 4 lbs. of N per year and warm season needs only 1 lb. per year. This should be applied in late summer, early fall and a winterizer. This helps the whole process work smoothly if you are concerned about photosyntesis, respiration, growth and storage. You will save so much money using pre-m in this manner and your lawns will appreciate it. if you want a green in summer just go heavy on the iron. (LIQUID)....You CAN NOT burn a lawn with iron. It is impossible. I poured straight iron (iron only) on areas of my lawn and they turned so dark that it seriously looked black. You can use any micro mix in low or high volume as long as there is no fertilizer analysis on it. I would live to share my program with you that is cost effective and my lawns are the greenest in the area

8. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

another thing. You show me just one lawn in your area that is low in Pot, or phos and I will say that my program is garbage! You dont need that stuff in those amounts. again, that is there way of selling you there fertilizers. Thats CRAP!

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Clay soil? If so, more fert is good. Hope it's slow release. I like LESCO's 34-3-11??? Has sulfur too. 4 to 5 pounds of actual N per year is what's normally reccommended in central & southern Iowa. Shady areas & loam soils require less than heavy soils with high pH (clay). Our program was put together by our local land grant university. Lots of variables though. Maybe check your local Missouri extension office? We typically like to apply fert at the highest recommended rate (always slow release), cuz customers like the greenest lawns possible. Sure, they have to mow frequently, but at least we're doing our part.

Burning lawns? The only time we have burned lawns is if we spilled dry fert, or if an impeller pin broke, or by using cheap liquid fert (tip burn).

Good luck, your neighbor just north.

10. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

What kind of products contain iron ?, I want a more darker greening, I applied 21-7-7 about two weeks ago.