Burnout?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Jul 31, 2000.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Ok guys, lets hear what YOU do when your on a 7 day a week schedule, it rains at least on time every day, your so far behind that your actually almost back on schedule, you can't find anyone to help you that has 1/4 of a brain, you have a bunch of highly profitable customers that pay you when they feel like it, you haven't been fishing all year, and you see no end in site. No I'm not burned out, I JUST WANT MY MOMMY! lol<p>----------<br>When the mowing gets tough, sharpen your blades, and don't forget to &quot;VOTE REPUBLICAN&quot;!!!<br>

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We had a discussion on this topic awhile back. The most I will work these days is 5-1/2 days. That 1/2 day is saturday and only when absolutely neccessary. Otherwise saturday morning is for maintainence. Life is too short to work 7 days a week. You get definitly get burned out on this schedule. Become very irritable and short tempered and lose interest in your job and lose customers in the process by developing a bad attitude. Your health can deteriorate under the stress of trying to keep up this kinda work load. But I use to work 6 days with the idea i could do it too. Until it dawn on me that it was just not worth it. And that extra day of money was not making me happy anyway.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Mowin, First of all, if you're voting Republican, that can contribute to everyone's burnout because the way THEY put the screws to us makes it less enjoyable to be working class. But anyway, enough about politics. A good way to avoid burnout is to pace yourself, get plenty of PROPER rest, and don't stop thanking GOD everyday for what you have and think of the less fortunate.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Hey man,<br>Pesonally I do not work on Sunday. I have a small business, but I also go to school (high school). Sometimes it gets really hard and time consuming especially in the spring w/ all the estimates. It really helps to have day to rest. I need my sunday church and relaxation in the afternoon. Give it a try, money is not the only thing in life.<p>Rick Wallace<br>LawnWorks

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

&quot;Ok guys, lets hear what YOU do when your on a 7 day a week schedule&quot;<p>Youre asking for it by putting yourself in this situation. I schedule a 4-day week. There are much more important things, IMO, in this world than money.<p>Bill

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

bill--I can use my imagination to guess what you do in your three days off but I'd rather ask you.<p>how do you run your operation, which I will assume is successfull and supporting your lifestyle, and make all of this work for you in only four days. sounds good.<p>GEO

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I had 3 different jobs to do on a saturday. Started at 8, quit at ten. I was very tired on Sunday. I can't say what I would do, just rest. I know what you mean when you've got all those jobs and so little time. I work at night mostly and have to finish most of my lawns by 9. If I don't, its back out there the next day and then I'm behind.<p>----------<br>Chelan Valley Mowing<br>- - - - Striping the way to success - - - -

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Take the next nice afternoon and park your trailer. Get in the truck and go do something you like to do that is not related to lawn (unless you go golfing;) ). <p>No one will know but you.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If rain causes me to get off schedule, I mow at the first chance I get (Not Sunday). If I mowed the lawn on Monday or Tuesday of the following week, the next week I get back on schedule.<p>I bill all year and get the same each month, I do not loose money, even with missing a week! :) If a customer were to ask (has never happened) I would explain due to the weather I was not able to mow, now it is much higher, it all works it's self out.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Just because I schedule 4 days doesnt mean I only work 4! Fridays are left open to accommodate rain delays, landscape jobs, hedge trimming, etc. I will work Saturdays only if its absolutely necessary. Never Sundays or holidays. I have 59 weekly mowing accounts which I do at 23 stops. If I can get on the road by 7:30 I can be home by 6 and finish all in 4 days as long as the weather stays dry.<p>Like Kirby I start off where I left off before the rain. Maybe move some up a day, delay some a day, and be back on schedule within a week. Being in New England my customers understand, it could be sunny and 90 one day and raining and 40 the next. This week is going to be tough, rained yesterday most of the day so I only got 7 lawns in, its raining this am so Im waiting for the expected clearing before I venture out.<p>Days off are important to me. I would like to enjoy the company of my kids before they become teenagers and decide its un-cool to hang with &quot;pop&quot;.<p>Bill