Burnt grass from W/B tires ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Jul 29, 2001.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I just went to see a client today, yes Sunday ! He actually had a legitimate complaint. His back yard was stripped with browned and green lines. Never saw anything like it before ! The yard is in full Sun. The only thing I could think of is that the tires got soo Hot they burned the grass as I mowed. Anyone have any Ideas or am I right ? ? What should I do to fix it ?? or should I ??? Can it be prevented in the future ?? His whole lawn is weak and I mentioned to him the heat and dryness and he informed me that he waters the lawn for 4 to 5 hours a day ?? Think that may be related ?? Thanks in advance...

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Your tires weren't "too hot", the turf was stressed to the point that the tires broke the plants "crown" and died. I doubt the client has put any water on it.
    When the turf is stressed like that it is best not to put a mower or even WALK on it.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This will happen when the grass is stressed from heat and not much rain. If he was watering his lawn 4 to 5 hours a day, this would not happen. I think he fibbed. ;)

I water mine about that long in a weeks time and I am not having that problem. We went 3 weeks with only 1/4" of rain, so we are really dry. We then got a gusher with a bigger amount of rain, but it mostly ran off since it came down so fast.

Tell him this is a natural thing to happen when the grass is stressed from no rain. As soon as we get some rain, it will come back nice and green, even where the tire tracks are.

This has been discussed here before and here is the link to the other discussion on this.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=616&highlight=tire+tracks

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

If he were truly watering his grass that much, the brown stripes would be mud tracks on the turf, not dead grass. You would be able to tell that the soil was wet, which evidently isn't the case.

5. accentlc

accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have heard that fungus can be spread on mower tires and cause striping. I can't verify the source or the accuracy of this.

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Chris,

Just think what it would look like if you used a proslide !!!:blob2:

jeffyr

7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys , I think I can confront him with an intelligent explanation and resolve now .. Thanks for your help..

Jeff.. yeah , the funny thing is I do use the proslide on this account ! But all that showed brown were the tire tracks .. Thank God !.. But maybe it would have not been targetable towards me if the whole thing went brown..

Thanks again guys.................

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

The guy is really fibbing, the grass blades are broken off at the crowns due to lack of water. Tell him to water the lawn for real and the grass will recover. A soil sampling probe is a great tool for checking the soil to see how dry it is. I'd stay off those stressed lawn till you get some rain. ED

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

This happened to me earlier this season. It was a vacation client. When he came home he called to raise hell. He thought I had gotten Roundup on the tires and killed the grass. :rolleyes:

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had this happen. It was mentioned by someone here that fert could also cause the lines. If the lawn had fert on it, when the mower drives over the lawn the wheels break the granuals down, and then water releases the chemicals into the lawn too quickly. i don't know if this is actually possible, can anyone verify it?