Burnt lawn or chinch bugs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by midwesty, Jul 14, 2005.

1. midwesty

midwesty LawnSite Member

ok guys...new to the forum and dont have a business doing this type of thing...

anyways...i have like 3 -5 yellow/burnt spots in my lawn...which is only like 20x40...all the rest is landscaped with red rocks and such...by the way i live in Vegas

anyways...i am wondering are they burn spots from fertilizer or are they some sort of bug that is eating the lawn in the hot temps? i just moved here about 1.5 years ago and bought this house 3 months ago...fertilized 2 times now...once with Scotts and the other time with Scotts w/summerguard and a spreader...any ideas?

apperently Scotts doesnt have a reputalble name with you fellas...can you recommend something that does and is available to the everyday consumer?

thanks...i can get you guys pics if you need....also..my lawn is awesome everywhere else except these spots...and with such a small area...it is just a real eye sore.

2. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I would say get the pics downloaded so we all can look to be sure. It also sounds like you could have brown patch (burned spots) do to your friendly animal marking his/her territory.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Take a small coffee can, remove both ends, pound one end 2 inches into the earth in the brown area, half fill it with water, see what is floating on top of the water. Please send $25. to lawn king for on line consult.

4. I am a fan of the coffee can method also. Try it in the edge of the damaged areas too.

Take some pictures of the bugs if you don't recognize them and we can ID them for you in a jiffy.

You can forward half of Lawn Kings consult fee to MrBarefoot for that extra bit of good advice. payup

5. midwesty

midwesty LawnSite Member

roger that...someone on a diesel forum also told me to do the coffee can thing as welll..pics are coming up

6. midwesty

midwesty LawnSite Member

ok these pics are from 6/26 ...any ideas? i really dont think it is the neighbors animals...unless they hang out on my sidewalk and look in my windows or something :)

lawn1.jpg

lawn2.jpg

lawn3.jpg

7. Do you know what kind of grass you have?

It looks like bluegrass in the picture.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks more like a fungus to me. Get a fine close up of the blade and we could tell.

9. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

This could also just be the result of something underlying in the particular areas. I noticed some are on the edges or next to a control valve or in the strip beside the street. These spots are notorious for having lots of rocks , gravel or leftover concrete which impedes root depth and heat up in the high temps causing brown spots during dry periods. Besides the coffe can method you should be able to see chinch bugs by parting the grass on a sunny day. The chinch bugs will be scurrying about down around the crown and thatch areas trying to get out of the sun. Do a search and see if you can find a picture, be aware that these bugs are quite small but you can easily see them if their numbers are high. Also if you have billbugs in your area, do a tug test on the brown spots of grass. Billbug damaged grass will break off easily with a gentle tug. The stems will be hollow and packed with sawdust like material. Not sure what other pests you have in your area but hope this helps.

10. midwesty

midwesty LawnSite Member

i will get a closer picture...now that you mention it...all the areas are on the edges...every spot has a sprinkler head about the center of it...but there are other areas that have sprinkler heads as well that are not brown...

also...after looking at it today...one spot is now gone and green again??