Bush Hog 2673 pivoting front axle uneven cut (hills)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 9, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend with a 72" 26 hp Bush Hog ZTR. The front axle pivots and he is thinking about putting bolts through it so it will mow smoother on hills. I guess the deck leans and cuts grass a little lower on one side and this bothers him. He said he knew of others that put bolts through the frame and front axle to stop the pivoting action so it would mow smoother on hillsides. I really don't see the big deal since these are rough areas he is mowing but I told him I would get on this forum and ask for opinions so let hear what you think. This is a large mower and it rides very stiff and I think it would be a mistake but let me know what you think. I drove it for him and he said he had the dealer check it out and everything was ok.
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The front axle isnt the problem. All mowers will do this.Its the weight transfer to the down hill side tire. Its just much more pronounced with the wider deck.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

on all 3 of my cub tanks, I lock the front axle's so they don't pivot. I was getting a uneven cut on hills, and around trees etc.
  4. klm2

klm2 LawnSite Member

My bush Hog came with plates to bolt in to make it regid. I have never seen the need, I think the pivoting front axel is a good thing.