1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bush Hog 50 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AWJ Services, Jul 1, 2005.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Have a customer who wants a bid on cutting it.Mostly pasture no real bad spots.Rolling hills with flat areas.
    I do not have a big mower just a 5 foot or a 6 foot bushog.
    How long do you guys estimate it will take with a 6 foot bushog.
    I think I could do it in 2 long days.
    Maybe a little optimistic.
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bush hogged that kinda area before but with a 15' batwing. With a 6' mower, I believe you're gonna be there a lot longer than 2 days.. If your tractor has the beans to run at a pretty high speed, you might get it done in two very long days. But if you go too fast, you'll just run over the grass..

I'd say charge whatever is a going rate for your area, For me, personally, I don't think I'd do it for less than $800.. And I imagine some may say that's too cheap here..

Either way, I'd break out an angle gringer and sharpen the blades, it will help you out a LOT..
  3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

With a 6 foot bush-hog and a tractor with some good power 35+ HP if there is not many obstacles plan for 2 long days (6am-8pm) to be safe, plus maybe another half day. With no breakdowns :) Make sure your tractor and bush-hog are operating flawlessly. I would suggest an oil change before you start cause that is alot of hours on end at high PTO speed.

Should be able to mow once in one direction then a second time in the opposite direction or criss-cross in this amount of time. Second time around you can go much faster.

Wear sunscreen or long sleaves and a wide brimmed hat. Bring fuel, water and lunch to save time. Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration.

You gotta get $1000 minimum. By my estimations that would only be $43/hour which seems kinda low, especially considering I often have a breakdown while bush-hogging which means running for parts, spending time for repair etc. etc.

If your using his equipment which it sounds like you are not, then the price could be significantly lower.
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

This is what I would term fill in work.I will do this when it does not interefer with my good work.So price is a little more flexible.

Both prices sound fair.
    My tractor is in very good shape.

Sounds like too me I need to plan on 3 days work.

Puts a whole new meaning too" bring your lunch" :)

Thanks for the input.
  5. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

I wouldn't waste my equipment on this. You'll be kickin' yourself for taking this on with your own rig. Rent what you need to do it in a day or less. Have it delivered and picked up. Charge rental plus operator time.
    See my post about this here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=87738
    These discbines can be set too spread out what's cut, and they'll slice through up to 1" brush. If it's not too hilly or rocky this will do the job. If it's hilly/rocky/brushy you want a 15' stalk chopper behind a 100hp tractor.
    Just my 2 cts. worth.