Bush hog and then mow?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kjslawn, May 6, 2008.

1. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Realtor cal me to mow a 12 acre place that has not been mowed this year Knee high I would say. I thought I would bush hog it then mow it. What do I charge, I have 2 Everride Warrior 54 Inch that can blow through some pretty high stuff. I have not seen it yet so I was hoping to just mow it 2 times with the mowers but I dont know? My dad has a bush hog I can borrow.
  2. kjslawn

bump bump bump
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If it's around the house, I'd bag it or if you don't have a bagger, rack it. It will look terrible if you don't. Is it a one time cut? If so, charge double. Best walk everywhere and look good for anything laying around too if it's as tall as you say.
  4. kjslawn

Thanks for the reply I wonder if I can demo a mower with a bagger on it?
  5. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Demoing a mower with the intention of cutting 12 acres just to return it would be a pretty shady thing to do. Personally, I would bush hog it for a few hundred, then cut it for a few hundred more. The other alternative(and better one) would be to bush hog it, then toss a very large finish mower behind the tractor and hit it again. Using any rider to cut 12 acres straight would be pretty pricey.
  6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Let it sit for a day or two between the bush hog and bagging to let clipping dry. Is there a place to dump on site?
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I would even wait a week or 2 between cuts. Bush hog first then mow. Just take your time mowing with the deck set very high.
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Check with a rental company and see if you can rent a wide brush mower or a tractor/bush hog, then you can get the rental insurance for when you break something...you do understand that is highly likely you will break something don't you? Knee high...I wont even put my mower through that abuse, been there done that!!

Paulup has a great suggestion, bush hog and then finish mow.
  9. I would find someone to cut and bale it.
  10. Saltydawg

Saltydawg LawnSite Member

Yea if you cant find someone to bale the hay (local farmers) probably best to just Bushhog it.
    A good bush hog will chop it up pretty good then you can finish mow it once the clippings have dried.

I would dread trying to bag 12 acres of knee high grass.