Bush hog charges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 5, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Submitted a bid for a school an now they want part of it bush hogged twice a year. I don't have te equipment and would need to rent or sub it out.

Can anyone tell me per hour or per acre what to charge? It might be 10-15 acres but need to measure it out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. grassmasterswilson

from nc

5 ft bush hog and maybe 5mph? That would be around 2.75 acres an hour. 50-75 per acre? I need to charge enough to cover my rental of the equipment. It may need to be subbed out
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 1whitetail

1whitetail LawnSite Member
    from florida

If it's only going to be done twice a year than I would probably sub it out. The cost of the rental might be more.

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

I'm really interested in how long it would take to do 22 acres. It was an farm field 2-3 years ago so it should be wide open with little obstacles or tight spots.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Farm field = bumpy

We bought 30 acres to start our own small family farm and build a home on it. It can only be mowed the direction they had farmed it for the last 90 years. Against the grain was to bumpy.

6. markcp

markcp LawnSite Member
    from MN

I've been doing a 12 acre lot for the past several years for a friend. A Woods 72" pull type with 45 hp tractor takes me right around 7 hours. I do have several trees to go around also.

7. Mxrider52

Mxrider52 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Good info. I am looking at pricing a 9 acre lot that not been mowed in 5 years so I am going to have to bush hog it. But was unsure how long it would take. It is not overgrown with large trees or anything. just alot of briars and stuff. I will have to rent the equipment so I am not sure of the rental cost.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

22 acres takes me 3 hrs
    Your 10-15 take 1.5-2 hrs to
    If dont have tractor and bushog and you have to rent it wouldnt be worth it
    Around here my rate is over 100 per hr I use 7740 with 15ft batwing I can cut 7 acres in hr

9. grassmasterswilson

from nc

ok guys. I asked a couple of guys what they charge to do it. I got 100/hour and 65/acre. Not sure what equipment they have but the rental company has a tractor and 5 ft bush hog.

This is about 21 acres once I measured it out. They want it done twice a year(growing season is March-September on safe side). I'm thinking that everything will be pretty tall, so I was thinking with a 5 ft bush hog about 10-12 hours of work?

I'm thinking of telling them $110 per hour for bush hog work with an estimate 10 hours per cut. Could be higher or lower depending on the conditions. That the safe bet(I think I won the bid and this is an add on)?