1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bush Hog Estate or Titan Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joff, Apr 3, 2008.

1. joff

joff LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I'm looking at the B.H 2052 Estate with the 20 Kohler. I'm mowing about 2 acres (residential) and there are some parts that are a bit rough. I've also looked at the Toro Titan Z with the 23 hp kohler and 48 inch deck. Both are "heavy" residential machines it seems and there is about a $1000 spread in price with the B.H. being higher. I'd appreciate any input or advice that anyone may have. Either of these will be a big investment for me and I want to make an informed decision.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

There should be better choices.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Doesn't get much better than a Bush Hog. Their residential machines are way overbuilt to be called residential. I would definately take one over a Toro.
  4. edgarpoe

edgarpoe LawnSite Member

I have demo'd the Toro Titan Z 4800 (23 HP Kohler Courage engine and 48 inch deck) and I am very disappointed. I mow about 4 acres of hilly grass. The deck is not tunneled and has baffles. The deck cannot handle high grass, and a lot of stringers are left behind in the Bahia grass areas. The baffles clog easily in wet or thick grass. When it does cut thick, healthy grass, it throws out clumpy globs of grass. Cleaning the machine is not easy, as the deckplate does not lift for access to the belts and pulleys of the mower deck. The pump and motor is an integrated design, which I do not prefer. The muffler is on the bottom rear of the machine, and scrapes the ground when lifting the front to change blades.

Basically, the best thing about this mower is the engine. The rest of the machine is a POS, in my opinion. I was looking for a backup to the Everride commercial mower I have (still in the shop, waiting for factory to ship more parts on order since late May 08). I will get back to using my backup 1987 model Snapper Hi-Vac, as it does better than the Titan Z did.

Just to be fair, I demo'd the same unit twice. I came away just as disappointed as the first time. It takes longer with the Snapper (only a 25 inch deck), but the cut looks better.
  5. edgarpoe

edgarpoe LawnSite Member

Deleted duplicate post
  6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Bush Hog is well built ask them for a demo....

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at anything else? How about Scag Hustler Country Clipper Dixie Chopper etc.
  8. cutsit

cutsit LawnSite Member
    from MO

If these are the only two choices, go with the Bush Hog.