1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bush hog or Finish Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Dec 26, 2006.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a new 30hp Kubota and I just bought a Bush Hog 72" rear discharge finish mower for it which I have not been able to use yet. I am taking a look at a bid for mowing some right of ways which require approximately 2-3 mowings per year of some tall field grass. Probably mowing approx. 13" down to 6". Do you think the finish mower will be alright or do you think I will need a brush hog for this. Again I have had no experience with either of these units. I appreciate all your input on the performance of either of these units.
  2. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

You will need a heavier bush hog. There will be some crap in those right of ways that could cause damage to you finish mower and your tires on the tractor.

Probably not worth the wear and tear for the winning bid/contract.

Most guys use a bigger bat-wing type mowers for large right of ways. It will be tough to win this bid against these larger guys and make a decent profit.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The finishing mower will give you a nicer cut but the Bush Hog is made to be far more forgiving when you run across that stump or brick you couldn't see because of the tall grass. :confused: Look closely at what you're cutting, then decide.
  4. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

the row's are only 10' -15' wide and are just a small portion of the entire mowing bid. i do hear what your saying about the debris though.
  5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Did nobody else notice, he said a 72in finish mower and 30hp tractor in the same sentence? Is this a rear 3pt hitch mount?

While you might can work with this setup, go get a bushog, 4 or 5 ft, not a 6ft, you're underpowered to do quality work with a 72in finish mower and only three mowings a year. Your mower will be under a constant strain, hurting your tractor as well as the mower itself. Now if you where mowing it weekly or bi-weekly, I might think otherwise. Also, dont get on any steep stuff with your setup, the mower is going to be a little heavy and when you go to lift the mower, your frontend will most likely come off the ground, or at least become very lite.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent points. I was going to just recommend the bush hog, but this above post basically says it all.
  7. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I'm thinking along the lines of 45-55 horsepower 6' bush mower

What you're gonna run across twice a year is heavy Bahia grass and Tall Fescue along with other grasses and weeds

I'm afraid you'll find the project "unforgiving" on your 30 horse tractor

I sometimes help my Father in law clip farm pasture ---- its clipped twice a year and each time the weeds are as high as the tractor exhaust stack --- on a JD 1530 and a Kabota 77hp.
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree with David C. about horsepower 30 hp on your tractor will not be enouph to cut through 16-20 inches of grass. I would go with around 60-75hp and deffinately a heavy duty bush hog. If you dont go with a bigger engine and heavy duty bush hog you will be pissed off at yourself all season long for the bad decision. You never know how long the grass will be or what will be in it, be prepared.