Bush Hog Rates & Fees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Nov 4, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

What do you all charge for Bush Hog work by the hour? We are looking at bidding on a 500 acre site that wants is cut 6 times a year.

Thanks,

Brian

2. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

$7-10 per acre is what most advertise here. You will need a 15 foot batwing min, and will take a week to get it done. A new 2515 Bush Hog is runing 10,500 right now+ you will need a 100 Hp tractor to turn it. Not much profit the first year.

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I'm not going to be much help. I have a 6 foot bush hog and charge about $ 100.00 per hour with a $ 300.00 minimum. I usually do small messes for $ 300. The last time I mowed 18 acres of lespadeza and small trees, I think the customer got more than his money's worth. I mow 3 acres for $300 (1.3 hrs-because of obsticles) a few times a year for one customer.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I wouldn't even turn the key on the tractor for $10/ acre.

$35-$45/ acre open and not overly grown with heavy brush.

On edit: depending on terrain and obstacles.
    Rough terrain and many obstacles with saplings it is priced accordingly.

5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

The area is 540 acres and is flat and open. It's actually is an airport. There is also a second airport with 75 acres also to be bush hogged.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Rates vary widely for rough cut work. I have a 2-1/2 acre lot in North Carolina and they charge me $30 to cut it. I don't know what they cut it with and don't care. It keeps the HOA off my back.

7. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

We are getting 65/acre here.

8. Kev's Lawncare

Kev's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Call your local Ag. Extension office. They will have the info you need or at least a reasonable place to start.

9. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

WOW! 540 Acres. If you already have the equipment and a way to transport it, you have no problem. Otherwise you are looking at $60,000.00 worth of equipment new and 1/2 that used just to get started. Not included in the above price is a means to transport the equipment. It's not easy to move a 15FT bat wing brush hog, and a 100 horse tractor weighs over 10K lbs.

I'd love to hear how the bid goes and if you get the business. With that kind of equipment, you can mow hiway right of ways, interstate medians and other large acerage.

I'd bet you could keep the equipment busy.

Good luck

10. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

Go to your local implement dealer and rent a self propelled discbine. Charge double what the dealer charges to rent. If your cutting 6 times a year there isn't going to be tough growth to mow. You can mow up to 12 MPH in AC comfort with one of those machines.

discbine.jpg