Bush Hog services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the average hourly rate for Bruxh clearing service? Or if you prefer to quote by job it is roughly 4 Acres of commercial property.

Just want to check how my commercial prices compare.

I charge 100 per hour with a 2 hour minimum.

Jim

Jim

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Friend of mine that used to do bushhogging had a four hour minimum. Yours sounds better. If I remember I think his price was around $200. for that 4 hour min. He made out pretty decent.

3. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

Be happy your are not here pricing that some of these farmers will bushhog at $10.00 a acre with a $80,000 tractor and a sixteen foot cutter. ( I always wonder why some of these guy were going bankrupt)

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The few times I've pulled my tractor out I've had a $100 minimum for the 1st hour. Then $50 to $75 per hour after that.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I sort of have an open invoice here (with this commercial property). this means I can charge what I feel is fair for the work I am doing.....I know sounds strange...long story.

Obviously I want to be on the upper end of what I can get away with, so I need some help.

Heres what was done so far.

1. One man 4 hours cutting brush by hand.
    2. Two men 7 hours cutting brush. One by hand, and one on large Tractor and Bush Hog.

Give me some ideas of what you would charge based on the details above.

Thanks , Jim

6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Not trying to pick apart your pricing but brush cutting by hand IMO would be worth more per hour than using the bushhog. Why?
    It's dangerous! Un-seen material. Metal,chunks of god knows what. And it can really hurt someone who is running a brush-cutter at WOT.
    I have a commercial property outside of Tampa.(Moving and storage,nation-wide.) They have an area on the east side of the building that is really wet for 8 months out of the year. Maybe 25 by 250 foot. Nasty. The facility manager asked me to brush-cut it down after I first got the account. 1990-1991? Can't remember.
    Anyway about half way thru it the blade picked up a piece of metal and it hit me right square between the eyes. Never saw it coming. Broke my safety glasses and cut me across the nose and under one eye. TWO black eyes also.
    When the mngr. saw me he freaked.
    After that he had someone else he knew with a tractor come in and knock it all down with a blade.
    Brush cutting by hand is worth much more per hour from my experience.
    The price you listed above for bushhogging is right on though.

I'll PM you with the price I charged for brush-cutting if you want.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My brush hog pricing varies a bit depending on where the job is and whether it's grass/weeds or brush. I usually charge $100/hr for the 1st 2 hours with a 2 hour minimum for local jobs that I can drive the tractor to (basically a $200 minimum) and $50 to $60/hr thereafter depending on how tough the mowing is. If it's mostly brush I go to $75/hour. For jobs that I need to trailer to I charge a $150 mob/demob fee (I have to rent a trailer as mine isn't HD enough) and then my hourly rate w/ minimum.

8. cglservice

from Ky

What size bushhog are you guys using?

For these prices.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Mine's a 60 inch JD 513 mower on a JD 24 HP 855 tractor. I always hog with the front end loader on for ballast/handling, as otherwise the mower's a bit big for my tractor.

10. cglservice

from Ky

darryl

I have 790 with loader and thinking of putting a 6' bushog on it
    PTO hp is 25
    Jd dealer said it was to much wonts to sell me a 513 for $950
    dont think so.