Bush hog (slasher) for JD X595

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Mickhippy, May 16, 2004.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering if its possible to get a Bush hog, what we call a slasher over her for a JD X595. 24hp I've forgotten what they call the 3pt hitch on it, sorry.

Thing is, I get alot of calls for Slashing but have to pass it on to other guys. I realize it couldnt be large but even 4' wide be good. I think it would be the same as the hitch on the Kubota BX series but I could be wrong.

Any help would be great!

jd x595.jpg
  2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's got a 3-point hitch, and a 540 rpm PTO with a standard 6-spline shaft, you can put a brush hog (what you call a slasher) on it. It's a heavy implement (over 500 lbs.), so if you use one consider putting some weights on the front end. With 24 HP a four footer is about right.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't bother with something that small. If you get into anything heavy, that thing isn't gonna handle it. I would suggest buying an older tractor and brush hog, whatever the budget allows. Go for something that has AT LEAST 30 hp.
  4. Mickhippy

Hose jockey, Not sure of the rpms of the pto are and I realise I'd have to put weights on. At least your saying its a possibility, and thats good! I can get a (cat 3 I think) 3 pt hitch.

Scag, I know its only a small tractor and I wouldnt use it for large areas with real long grass. I get calls from people with vacant 1/4 acre blocks that they need slashing. I really dont want to buy another tractor just for these jobs besides I'd have to get bigger everything to haul it around. I appreciate your input all the same mate. Cheers!

The other thing is that it would be good to use in areas that large tractors cant get into, like behind houses etc. It would be better than having to use a line trimmer, thats hard work!

I really think its the same as the Kub BX2200 and I'm sure you can get a slasher for them. Might go to Kubota and see what they've got.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The x595 had a catorgory O 3pt hitch. No one builts a brush hog light enought to that a cat 0 can pick up. Also the pto is designed only to run the JD tillers and baggers. It not 540 rpm, also it a female connection on the tractor. By the time you buy a 3pt and a pto, you could have bought a JD 2210.

I have a 42" landpride for sale. It came off a Kubota BX2200, I got it with some other equipment I bought. I had a 48" model for my B7500 so i don'y need this one.

Even the Kubota BX series and the JD 2210 can't even turn a 48" brush hog, they can only turn a 42" model.
  6. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am sorry I was thinking of the old JD 430, 420, 400, 332, and 318 tractors. They had the weird pto setups to only run deere stuff. I just checked myself, its 540 pto. So that brush hog I have would fit. But the out back is a little to far to ship.

The 3pt and pto of a X595 has a high price. My dealer will talk you out of it. You can get a 2210 cheaper than a X595 with 3pt and pto. Plus its a bigger tractor. But thats deere for you. Which is why I when deere to kubota. (Don't worry I still have 3 JD garden tractors from the 1960's, thats one of my hobbies)
  8. Mickhippy

Just like to thank you all for your input. Cheers!

gottabegreen. Yes a little far to ship mate. I really would be able to buy a new tractor for the cost as well I recon.

viking, I've been thinking about those as well. See pic! I'll have to do alot of shopping around to get one over here though, not to mention the cost. Very good option all the same. Have any of you used these before, how do they go, what size engine for 5' or so long grass? I'd say my X595 should pull one of these!

Thanks again guys, appreciate it.

multi rough cut.jpg
  9. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

I agree with scag48. Once you hit heavy grass it just will not be enough with a 24HP motor. I have a six foot BH squealer on my 1963 Allis Chalmers d-15 Series II gas and that can handle it. Its also 42 HP at the PTO.

The other thing is that PTO HP you are talking about Mickhippy ????
  10. Mickhippy

Sorry gadfreak, Thats engine hp. No idea of the PTO hp. I think I'll forget about the whole idea. I'd have to upgrade to a bigger tractor and thats not going to happen.

What about the tow behind things, how do they go?