1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bush Hog ZTR. Anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Oct 13, 2005.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

One of the ladies at a school I service on the milk route was asking me about my mower today. She and her husband are looking to buy a ZTR to replace the Cub Cadet they bought last year, and in her words, is a lemon.

Anyhow, they apparently mow half the world, because she said it takes them 12 hours with the Cub and a 6 foot finish mower on their tractor!

The local implement dealer sells Bush Hogs, and let them demo one, the first they have ever operated. I told her I didn't know anything about them, but don't ever recall seeing anyone on here mention using one. Just wondered if anyone did, or if not, why?

I did tell her in my opinion, they need to bite the bullet and buy a really good commercial machine, whatever the brand. She said they hated to spend that kind of money, because they do a lot of the mowing with the tractor now. I told her, unless the terrain was too rough, I would bet money they would mow more and more with a ZTR and less and less with the tractor. She mentioned they mowed 10 acres demoing this Bush Hog. I didn't ask if that was all they mowed or not, but it must not be if it takes them 12 hours.

Thanks for any input. Neill
  2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I've never demo'd a bush hog, but have seen one. It looked to be super tough. If they are any relation at all to the old bush hog shredders then they have to be tough as nails.

Since she is in MO, she should see if there is a Bad Boy dealer in her area. These machines are super tough, super quality, built for easy maintenance, priced lower than the competition and have a great company behind them. They are built in Batesville, AR not far from MO.

Good luck,
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

They're ok kinda like bobby gedds wife.
  4. klm2

klm2 LawnSite Member

Just bought a Bush Hog M6125K to replace a 10 year old Grasshopper 721. I looked a most all of them and this was by far the most for the least. Built like a tank. Only question I have is how good is the Kaw25?
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've heard mixed reviews of the Kawasaki's. Some people love them and have many hours with no problems and others have had many problems and hate them. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. We have a 26 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki on a Ferris ztr and its an excellent engine. Powerful and very fuel efficient.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

7. haferlawn

haferlawn LawnSite Member

I have had a 2761 bush hog ztr for about a year now. I demoed a scag and an exmark and I liked the bush hog best. It has a kohler 27 on it. I run high lift gator blades year round and it stripes great. So for the machine has been trouble free however I put a lot of time into maintenance on my machines. The bush hog also comes standard with suspension seat, headlights, articulating front end and weighs 100 lbs more than the exmark. More weight = more steel , better built? The hydro system holds 1.5 gallons and has fans on top of the pumps to help the system run cooler. The exmark holds 2 qts and has no fans. We all know heat kills hydros. Anyway, I like my bush hog alot and would not be afraid to buy another. Just make sure the dealer support is there. If you can, demo a bush hog let me know what you think.
  8. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Bush Hog has become a big name around my area in Mississippi. We have a dealer in town and in my opinion is great he carries husq. and john deere and bush hog. He does great service and will do what he can to get you in and out. A large commercial company here that i know runs strictly bush hog after he changed from exmark and says they are so much better. I am probaly picking one up in the spring like said above they are built like tanks.
  9. klm2

klm2 LawnSite Member

Would be nice if someone was to start a Bush Hog website so we could exchange information on them.
  10. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

is there a bush hog dealer in central florida?bad boy?